Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Maintaining Mouth Calls

Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maintaining Mouth Calls

During the season I keep them in a water tight container with a 50/50 solution of water and scopeChanging every day while hunting... When I get home I wash in hot water and put back in empty container and put in freezer, until next outing then I repeat
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 PM

I also use diluted scope mixture. I use altoid cans with pc of foam or sponge cut about 3/16" thick and little smaller than the Altoid tins. I rinse with water after using..just hold under faucet and run hot water hard enough to open reeds and rinse in between. Store in refrigerator and freeze in water between seasons. Keeping in moist container will keep reeds from sticking together also. Got some over five yrs. old..buy new ones before season also..but I hate to throw away a perfectly good sounding call...because the next one of the same make and model will probably sound different.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM

I am totally opposite. I can't stand putting a cold wet call in my mouth. So, I put a flat tooth pic or broom straw b/t the reeds and let the calls air dry.

Then I put them in a container.

So far it has worked pretty good.

When I take them out to use them, I just run some water on them or dip them into a glass of water so I can slide the tooth picks out w/o damaging the reeds. I also use Listorine to rinse them off. Then I rinse with warm water and place the tooth picks back b/t the reeds and let air dry.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Last year, I started storing my favorite mouth calls in a little "Glad" storage container that's about 3" in diameter (my wife never even missed it from the kitchen.) I pour an inch of scope in it and pull them out right before the hunt and put them back immediately after. I would change the scope every week. At the end of the season, I pulled them out and stored them in the little plastic case they came in. I just tryed them out a couple of days ago. They tasted great and played just as sweet. The latex suffered no ill effect. We have a six week season in Alabama and they stayed in the scope the whole time. They made it the whole summer outside in my storage building in Alabama heat. If the latex can handle that, and six weeks straight in straight scope, then I don't think the scope can hurt them that bad.