Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can turkeys fly?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Can turkeys fly?

They can fly very well and much longer distances than alot of people realize. BUT that doesn't mean they have to like it or will do it often. The principal muscles used to fly by all birds are the chest/breast muscles. "White meat/muscle" like those on most upland birds chests(turkeys, quail etc...) is made for explosive power and for climbing quickly and then gliding/sailing too security. Themusclestructure of that white meat provides tremendous take off andacceleration, but it'sshorton fullpower stamina.Upland birdwings are also much shorter yet widerin relation too their body. Those wings are built for alot of sudden lift to gain altitude quickly. That is why they EXPLODE upward from a stationary point when startled suddenly. It also takes ALOT more energy for a 20# turkey to fly than it does to run the same distance (look at theirthighmuscles in relation too the rest of their musculature.Most any upland bird is a tremendous runner andcan run full tilt over ground for greatdistances.

"Dark meat/muscle" is found on long distance flyers like most migratory birds like waterfowl, doves and songbirds. Their wings are also much longer and thinner (in relation to their bodysize)for flying long distances. This is why many waterfowl have to "run on thewater" several yards before they take fully too the air. They have to reach enough airspeed for their wings to fully gain enough lift to thengain altitude quickly because of that general wing shape (that's why fighter aircraft typically have smaller wings in relation too their fuselage compared too those found on cargo/passenger craft).

Aint nature neat? "Pothole" ducks like mallards and grays have a good combination wingsize to allow them to pop-up and take off quickly while floating stationary. Geese and most coastal ducks (rafters, floaters etc...) usually have to "run" across the water or ground before reaching enough airspeed to yield lift from their wings. It's also fascinating too me that much of what we know about aircraft and flight came from our studies of birds. Not only in their shapes and aerodynamics but on the study of their skeletal systems for help in designing stronger yet lighter aircraft.

Sorry for the wandering,
RA
Old 01-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Wow. Good response. You a biologist?

I have been amazed by what I have seen turkeys do. Its amazing how fast they can take off through the air and as big as they are, dodging trees and limbs.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 PM

Thanks BPS, lol naw but I DID sleep in a Holiday Inn Express lastnight! I just enjoy studying the game animals I chase and love so deeply.

The turkey is really an amazing animal in just about ANY aspect. What amazes me more than their flying and running skills is their hearing and eyesight. Their cautiousness and ability to detect danger is simply breathtaking at times. I used to get so mad some days and just cuss em and ask why they were so danged cautious. That is until a buddy of mine put it fairly simple and it made ALOT of sense too me. He said, "From the time they fall out their mommas rearend they are sought out by predators. Each day is a day of survival for them. And at every stage in life something, usually several somethings, is looking to make a meal out of them. When you think about it they basically are a buffet on legs"!!!

LOL that has made about as much sense to me as ANYTHING I have ever heard with regards too turkeys. The only downside (for the turkeys! ) is they were only given a marble sized brain. If they had the reasoning skills of many other big game animals I doubt we would even be able to get close enough too them to even THINK about getting a shot at them.

And ohhhhhhhhh those gorgeous colors in the spring sunlight. They are truely natures own"disco ball",
RA
Old 01-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I have always thought that way too. A guy asked me one time why they were so hard to hunt and thats excatly what I told him. From the time the eggs hit the ground, theres something trying to eat them. A lot of people don't realize, but foxes and coon make a feast out of turkey eggs. Then when they hatch everything from foxes to hawks are trying to get them.

Have you ever seen a hen fight off a hawk? I seen it once on a tv show, it was amazing. If I can remember right, the hen took off in the air after the hawk.

If they had a bigger brain and could use it, we would probably be still hunting them like we do deer, but then again, I have had several deer feeding under the tree I was sittin' in and never seen me. Then two turkeys came in and busted me from 30 yards out. Go figure.

A turkey isn't too smart, they are just CAUTIOUS.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience they can fly as fast and as far as they need to to escape! Witnessed it to many times!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not too smart, but they can fly real well (at least our easterns can). I ride dirtbikes and 4 wheelers alot for fun, and more than once have come over a hill to surprise a bird into flight. One time a hen ran away and burst into flight on a tree lined road, I was below/close behind her for at least 300yrds before I let off so she could get away (illegal to harass game animals out of season up here).
How do you think they roost, anyone ever seen a turkey CLIMB a tree?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes our Easterns can take serious flight, and seen em go, 500 yards or more........ will say running is their first preference and it would put the Roadrunner to shame, but they can FLY, that you can bet serious money on! Maybe even $100.00
Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all shoulda been quiet and got in on the bet too... D'oh...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

d'oh! [&:](as he smacks his bald head)
Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM

I've sent quite a few of them into flight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,usually on a hunting day [:@]

not to hard to find referances to them flying up to a mile if need be

Quick Reply: Can turkeys fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.