Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring Turkey

Old 01-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Spring Turkey

I live in VA and including this pastseason, seem to always see quite a few turkey's during deer season. In the spring, however, we can't seem to locate the birds. What is the range for turkeys? Any ideas on how to get on birds we see in the fall/winter in the springtime?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Spring Turkey

I don't know about your flocks out there, but here in Cali, the turks can have a home range between 10 to 25 sq. miles, provided throughout the year. Depending on the weather, the flocks generally will disappear between Dec. through Feb., with varying popups. Since it has been unseasonably warm and a better acorn season, I have seen plumper turks, provided with my additional food plots, than I have seen in a couple of years, and better numbers too since I keep the yote population down as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Maine the birds will move, but not to far. A lot depends on food. If the woods you deer hunt has lots of fall mast, but no other foods the turkeys will be where the green shoots and first bugs are showing up. Do lots of dawn driving in early spring. Stop and listen for birds gobbling in themorning. Sound carries best when they are on the roost. Around here the birds are often on the ground within minutes of first shoot (half hour before sunrise). I have been to Georgia and the area I hunted ther the birds stayed on the roost until after dawn.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here, it's common to see turkeys in the fall in one area and in the spring someplace else. In the winter they move out for miles around and flock up in thick cover near food. Food sources and priorities are different in the spring and the fall. Don't worry about where you saw them duringdeer season, find them in the spring after the big winter flocks break up. If you can findout where they are in the spring, unless something changes drastically, you'll find them near the samearea every spring.