Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

In the Mind of the Turkey Hunter

Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: In the Mind of the Turkey Hunter

Thanks guys, I simply put down in words what we all feel in the spring, ya'll can elaborate some more.....
Old 01-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice post Adrian....Rob absolutely sensational....without sounding rediculous the kill isn't everything as Rob clearly defines!Obviousily we're all here to better prepare ourselves to outwit and harvest the "king of the spring but the friendships,comradre,the challenge,all add to the fun of the sport and at least in my mind are as important to the kill itself!Even the preseason work if thats what you want to call it leaves a hunter on edge opening day,shaking with excitement anticipating that first gobble of the morning!After a lengthy life chasing these birds I still get excited as I did my early years but know enjoy watching thosenew to the sport experience the same thing....take a kid turkey hunting trust me you'll be glad you did!!!Some adults are kids too!!!Have fun all...Bob
Old 01-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well said guys
Old 01-22-2006, 04:52 PM

amen bud idont think it could have been said any better
Old 01-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Okay, I'll be the first "newby" to take you up on your offer and ask a question that has been bugging me.
This will be my first year turkey hunting. Everyone/everything I read says to scout, scout, scout. As with deer hunting, I could not agree more...you have to find them to hunt them. That said, I have two pieces of property, one public (975 acres), one private (400+ acres)that I deerhunt. I have never seen or heardturkey on either of these properties, but they seem like they would be prime locations. One of our local DNR guys told me that the public land for sure has turkey on it. When questioning him on how to locat them...maybe with an owl or crow call, he said that this time of year they won't respond as turkey talk is really only about finding a mate during the breading season. I have no reason to doubt him and IF that is true, how do I know if there are birds or not? I have not seen any turkey feathers or large patches of scratching where they are digging for food.
What else can I look for or should I just wait until spring. I want to know if there are birds on these properties.
As a side note, on the private land, I do here a gobbler when I'm deer hunting, but it could well be a domestic bird being raised by a neighboring farmer...not sure. Point being, it it's gobbling....would wild ones be sounding off too?
Anxious for your replies and help.
Thanks a ton.
Craig
Old 01-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your fortunate enough to have snow, a little leg work might yield ya some results. Other than that, unless your lucky enough to happen upon them, it's tough to find turkeys this of year. As the gobblers start sounding off, you can get out with locator calls and determine if birds are in your areas. Even now you could get lucky with a locator but as the season progresses, you'll have plenty of time to find the birds prior to your opening season.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this question deserves a post Thread of its own.

Not to jump on the Hyjack train , but there could be some good points that others would like to read and would miss because of not opening this thread that may not have value to them....BT