Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Default RE: 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

I can't think of a circumstance where I'd want to kill two with one shot -- even where legal. Maybe there is one, but I can't think of it yet. But I'm kinda funny that way.

Hal
Old 12-20-2005, 10:28 AM

I took 2 two years ago with one shot. We had called 3 birds across a 200 yard long field and just when they got within 75 yards a helicopter buzzed us overhead. This changed their path from directly toward our decoys to the field edge. Following the field edge led them to within 15 yards of me so I pulled the trigger on what I thought was 1 bird. The shot flushed 1 bird back into the field where it was shot by my buddy. I didn't have to wonder about the 3rd bird long as I found 2 dead at the field edge.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:31 PM

My cousin shot three at one time last year. We are allowed to take two in our county so the third was actually illegal.

He didn't mean to shoot the third. He let two get lined up and shot them. When he went to pick them up, he seen that he also shot a third that he couldn't see. A friend used of of his tags for the other.

Taking to at one time has got to be cool, but since we can only take two birds here in this county, I would rather take two birds on two seperate hunts. Its like you use both tags on one hunt, you know.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Both times it happened to me was not planned or wanted, it just happened.

lst time: I was working a bird with a buddy. Had the decoys out, he set up between me and the decoys. While working that bird, which was in front of my buddy another bird came in behind and to my right. The bird we was working out front kept going away from us. I saw the second bird out of the corner of my eye, he walks up on a mound of dirt less than 20 feet from me, I shot him. We walked over to look at him and while admiring him we heard noise coming from the palmettos behind this bird. We walked over to see whatwas making the noise and there was anothergobbler floping around. I had no idea he was there, he was behind the palmettos. When we clean this bird we found one pellet had hit him in the side of the head.

2nd time: Our river was flooded and the birds was on ridges in the swamp. I had listened to this bird or birds for 3 or 4 days and wouldn't attempt togo them because of the water depth and I wasn't exactly sure which ridge they was on. I marked the water line in an old logging road and kept up with it as the water reseded.After about 4 days of torture listening to them gobble and watching the water fall, I decided I could now wade to them (Wouldn't recommend this, but I've hunted this land for 20 years and it floods every year, and I know what I can and can't do during high water). I waded thru waist deep water, thru ankle deep, and waist deep several times to get to this ridge, in the dark. I got to the ridge and set up, they gobbled. Wouldn't you know it, I was one ridge shy of them. Got my stool and took off, had to wade another slough to get to them and had to hurry because it wasbreaking daylight.

I set up and started working them real softly. When they flew down, they started in the opposite direction from me. I knew they couldn't go far, but fiqured they was going to fly across to another ridge. One would gobble then the other, it was driving me crazy and I decided to pump it up some. I did and they turned, came up the ridge I was on, crossing in front of me from my right to left, wouldn't you know it, couldn't get a clear shot. If they kept going in that direction they would pass me by. I made a couple of soft calls and they made a left turn, which put them comingin on my left at a parralel, one behind the other, 5 or 6 feet apart. I had my gun up and found a narrow lane to shoot thru, even though they was following each other,from where I was siting, they was actually going to walk by one at a time. I shot when the first bird came into the shooting lane I picked, about 15 yards. Both birds droped and I couldn't believe it, as I said, they was 5 or 6 feet apart. I went to both birds to make sure they couldn't get up. Afterwards I got to trying to fiqure out what happened and followed my shot pattern back to my stool.

What happened was that the shooting lane was extremely narrow and part of my shothit the side of a small tree, andsome of the shot had to bounce off to the right and hit the second bird. Both of these birds weighed around 18 or19 lbs. It was legal because we can take 3 birds here. I would rather not do this because it does shorten my season drastically, but I wouldn't take anything forthe memories of this hunt.

dog1
Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Here in Indiana its a 1 tom Limit. You would be in big trouble here in Indiana for that. I always wait for a clear shot at 1 and only 1. Know whats behind your target when you shoot.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ik someone who got 2 last yr

Old 12-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happened to me last spring[]S!@# happens[&o]
Old 12-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Never happened nor would I want it to. In PA you get one tag, well it'll be two this next season however even with two tags I wouldn't want to end my hunt in one shot even if legal. I'd rather take one bird and hunt another day. It's not about the kill for me, it's all about the hunt.

If done by accident I suppose ya'll should be glad it was legal, 1st rule of shooting, Identify your target.
couldn't have said it better myself....we're allowed two birds but they can't be on the same day.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 PM

o ya its happened to me..this past spring..every day before school id go out and and position at the bottom of a big hill that the birds roosted on..and every day they would gobble to my calls but wouldnt come down the hill, so that friday morning i woke up eeextra early and walked totally around our property and set up at the top of the hill..the turkeys had been roosting about half way up the hill..and since they wouldnt come down to my calling maybe theyd come up..well i put my decoy out about 15 yards and sat down..and i didnt hear any gobbles at all at dawn..huh thats weird..i hope i didnt scare em al out i thought to myself..so i let loose with my diaphragm, and with my slate at the same time..an two thunderous gobbles scared the crap outa me..they were only 20 yards away but i couldnt see em because they were on the ridge below me and i was to far away from the edge odf the ridge i was on,, but i could hear em comin and both of them climbed the steep part of the hill and i waited till i saw both of them, they charged towards me decoy gobbling al lthe way so i wasited till their heads were almost touching as the ran side by side and took one shot from my model 12..dropped em both

Old 12-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

My first turkey was two jakes with one shot.My friend killed 2 toms with one shot...beards like yours,but not near that heavy.I have wanted to make it happen again,but just can't do it when I want to.

Quick Reply: 2 for the price of 1...any one else ever have this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.