Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Dead Tom

Old 12-20-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Dead Tom

Wow, I've never heard of that. That is wierd.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

Ok while all of you have your own opinions, I have seen video footage of a hen turkey beat the crap out of a hawk that tried to swoop in on her poults.

So you are telling me that what I have seen and experienced myself and what others have experienced, are just opinions and not hard fact for you are the one that saw a video? Sounds like you are creating a high cloud for yourself to sit above everyone else. And believe me, that is not the way to go my friend.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 AM

Woa easy there Coyote Stalker...I don't want to argue about it. I am just saying that not every hawk and owl out there can take out a turkey at will. I've already said I haven't hunted all over the country so I cant speak for everywhere, but around here, owls and hawks don't kill grown turkeys and especially grown toms which are 50-60% bigger than a jake or hen.

The only reason that I find the owl/hawk theory hard to believe is this: First of all a grown tom turkey is bigger than the biggest hawk or owl by a lot. Second, I always thought that hawk/owls swooped in on there prey and caught it in there claws and took off and killed it at a place of their choosing. Obviously no bird could fly off with a tom turkey. Next, a turkey isn't just going to lay down and die for an owl or hawk, So we are talking a 20-25 lb bird that loses a fight to a bird like a hawk or owl that might weigh what 10-12 lbs soaking wet??? I dunno about you but my money is on the long-spurred gobbler everytime.

With that said...that is just my opinion and is really only valid around here where I live. I don't know about across the country where the owls/hawks may be on steroids or something. Theres no reason to jump on me like that. When I said "opinions" I was referring to what happened to the turkey in the original post. Not commenting on anything you'd seen with your own eyes. You took my comments way out of context and didn't apply them to the reason this post was started which was to find out everyon'e "opinion." Chill out Coyote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 AM

I was commenting with no scorn, so I am chill. I was commenting on your claim, and there was nothing taken out of context. So when I see a pair of red tails pretty much shred the head of a "grown Tom" or hen, and when I see personally on my property that one of the two resident golden eagles actually grab a gobbler and pin it to the ground with little fight, then they must be on steroids..... Got it...lol and I guess that would be my experience, not just my opinion right? No harm no foul, but next time don't generalize your opinion as the nationwide fact.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 PM

I've seen a barred owl take a 9 week old poult. I've seen a red shouldered hawk try to take a 10 week old poult and didn't finish the job.

Hal
Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM

Coyote-

Are u just choosing to read part of my posts and ignore the rest??? How many times in my last 2 posts did I say I didn't know how things worked around the country. So why say I made my opinions "a nationwide fact?" Read moron...
Old 12-23-2005, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

Coyote-

Are u just choosing to read part of my posts and ignore the rest??? How many times in my last 2 posts did I say I didn't know how things worked around the country. So why say I made my opinions "a nationwide fact?" Read moron...
Now it gets ugly. Too bad for you though, sounds like you can't take criticism. Don't get your strawberry shortcake panties in a bunch. All in here are brotherin, even if some can't take a little debate. Happy Holidays anyways, moron.