Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington Thumbhole install ?

Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Remington Thumbhole install ?

I just got a Boyd's Thumbhole in the mail for my 870 turkey gun. I have a question I've had the gun for 15 years never took the original stock off. When I did I noticed a "washer/spacer" type thing between the receiver and the stock. Now the new stock fits absolutely perfectly with this "washer/spacer" removed. My question is does it serve any purpose besides taking up the "slack" of the orginal factory stock?...

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I figured I'd ask some fellow turkeyers.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington Thumbhole install ?

ORIGINAL: Vinnybugg

I just got a Boyd's Thumbhole in the mail for my 870 turkey gun. I have a question I've had the gun for 15 years never took the original stock off. When I did I noticed a "washer/spacer" type thing between the receiver and the stock. Now the new stock fits absolutely perfectly with this "washer/spacer" removed. My question is does it serve any purpose besides taking up the "slack" of the orginal factory stock?...

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I figured I'd ask some fellow turkeyers.
I noticed that too when I installed a synthetic stock on my old 870 in place of the wood stock. I think the spacer is for the wood stocks, synthetic ones don't require it. At least mine didn't either...

I'd like to learn more about that Boyd's stock you bought. Can you post a pic or something? What material is it made out of? Is it camo? I'm interested in something like for my 11-87..
Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

boyds makes nice stock fairly cheap...mostly wood and laminated wood...dont think they have synthetic...do a search for "boyds gunstocks" youll find them.....as for the washer thing.....no idea....never noticed one....
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Mikey S. The stock I got is Walnut unfinished. I opted for their "Virtual Inlet Part" which according to them is ~98% complete with some rough spots around the comb and thumbhole, nothing 5 minutes with some fine grit sand paper won't cure. As for camo, I'm actually getting the whole gun redipped in Mossy Oak Obsession. Sorry no pics....However like already mentioned you could search them....Shotgun stocks are under their "Sterling" series...

I think I'm going to leave the spacer out and see what happens, I can't imagine any terrible, since it fits perfectly...