Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

newbie question

Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default newbie question

i was practically assaulted by turkeys while deer hunting (without seeing any deer, by the way) so i thought i'd give turkey hunting a try.

my question is, is there an optimum time of day? i saw them pretty regularly between 1 and 3 pm, and they seemed to be favoring an open patch of meadow when it had sunshine.

(and please note i fully expect to see lots of deer this time, and no turkey)
Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: newbie question

In my home state, you cannot hunt in the spring after 12 noon, so I don't have much to offer on PM hunts. I do know that I get most of my action in the first 2 hours of daylight, then around 10 the action starts to pick up again as hens start to go to their nests and toms are on the prowl again. I'd bet that if you hunted food sources in the afternoons that you would catch quite a few birds snacking. Just keep at it, your own experience will tell you the best times to hunt in your area. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

here we can only hunt until 1pm unless you have private land....i usually see most my birds either first thing in the morning or right before they fly up for the night....mostly during deer season too...lol.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Here in Indiana we can hunt all day long. I myself basicaly hunt until noon then head back out around 2pm and try to hunt areas where they strut or dust. Feeding areas work well also. When it starts getting closer towards evening I will move and try a set up where they will go to roost that evening and try to call one in. My hunting buddy and myself have doubled killed on several hunts closer to evening. Just my tyhoughts Arrowmaster