Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Modified choke for Turkey?

Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Modified choke for Turkey?

I have and old childhood rem wingmaster with a 26 inch imp cylinder that i want to use for turkey hunting so I began searching for a full choke barrel that will fit. I looked on ebay, but have never seen a full choke barrel except in 30 inches. I do not want more than 26 and would be ok w/ something shorter and more maneuverable. The only thing i have found is a few 3 inch magnum barrels with interchangeable chokes. My gun is 2 3/4 inch and is an older version, so this barrel won't work. The only thing i am finding is an occassional 26 inch modified, so i thought i would solicit your opinion on the effectiveness of this choke w/ 2 3/4 inch shells.

In the past, I have used 3 inch w/ full choke in my benelli, but i really want to use my wingmaster. I typically take shots of 35 yds or less, though i understand the range to be 40 yds.

pls advise.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Modified choke for Turkey?

If u can get a MAD Dog choke tude. Tightest groups iv ever seen at 35 yards they should be in cabelas.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

these old barrels do not accept screw in chokes. I will be purchasing a fixed barrel choke and am interested in opinions related to the suitability of the modified w/ 2 3/4 inch shells at appx 35 yds.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

pattern it and see........only real way to tell what it will do for you....my dad rolled a few birds with an old winchester semi 12 ga...modified choke and a 2 3/4 inch load....find where your putting atleast 8-10 solid hits in the vitals of a turkey target and keep your shots that far or closer......i dont know about 35yds with a mod choke and 2 3/4 shells....may work..but the pattern might be to open...try er out.....
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I would do first is talk to a gunsmith and see about getting your barrel drilled out and tapped for chokes, then you can use the same barrel for everything and can even buy a Turkey choke, not just a full choke.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand as to why a magnum barrel will not fit your Gun ?

The Wingmaster made the 2 3/4 and the magnums for 3 inch shells. The barrel fitting is excactly the same and the 2 3/4 will except the magnum barrel. The only difference in the two guns are the reciever and the opening. The 2 3/4 has a smaller opening and will not send out the shell without hitting the reciever. You should still beable to fit the 3in 26 barrel on and only shoot the 2 3/4 shells.

Maybe find someone with a magnum barrel and try it on your reciever , you maybe surprised ...BT
Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

that's an interesting thought, using the mag barrel w/ 2 3/4 shells. If anyone knows for sure if this will work, i would appreciate the info. I don't have one to try and if i buy it and won't fit, i am stuck w/ it.

also, it looks like the modified will work anyway.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Pattern you gunusing #6 Hevishot, with an Improved cylinder at 35 yardsyou should have enough pellets in the head/neck area to take a turkey.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 AM

I'd be very careful about patterning it before you shoot at turkeys with it. Be conservative. Don't take chances with crippling a majestic gobbler. It seems to be happening more and more these day, if what's posted on message boards is any indication.

Hal

Quick Reply: Modified choke for Turkey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.