Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Diaphragm Calls

Old 09-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Diaphragm Calls

do any of you have any tips on using diaphragm calls
Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Diaphragm Calls

practice, practice, and when you think you got it down... more practice. using a mouth call and getting it to sound like a turkey takes time but you can do it.

the first time i put one in my mouth i about swallowed it

after about 5 min my dog just sat on my backporch steps looking at me with that... you sound so bad if i found you in the woods i would eat you just to shut you up look on his face

from that point on...every free moment i had...driving to work...watching the game on tv(wife loved that) ect... ect.. i had that call in my mouth.

this past spring i had a chance to put that work to the test and it paid off.

that being said... get it... practice with it till your family...friends... or dog...threaten to have you locked up... then when you bag that bird... sit back and enjoy your hard work and patience

best of luck to ya
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow,The #1 problem begginers seem to have is they try to huff onthe call way too hard.Try it usin very little air flow.Once you get that down you can increase the flow to get more volume.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a good technique for practice: get yourself a CD player and tape player, or two tape players.Buy agood recording of live birds (I'd recommend Real Turkeys IV from Midwest Turkey Supply,
http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/
, there are others).Play a segmentfrom therecording and record yourself repeating thepassage. Listen to yourself on the recording trying to imitate the passage, it'll be some of the better feedbackyou canget. Youdo not need to beperfect or even "good" to make the diaphram work on turkeys, just concentrate on pitch and rhythm. Once you are "close enough" to the recordings (and your hide is thick enough )enter a calling contest or two - then you'll get the "impartial" judgement of your peers. Don't worry about placing [&:], thecalling contest route is only toforce discipline in your calling, and you'll learn to avoid "lazy" calling. Striving for perfection will help you over the long haul, add versatility to your calling technique, and may get youthat turkey that the average joe wouldn't get -- there are some turkeys that you can call in just banging two sticks together, there are others thatonly areal hencould bring in, you'll want to get good enough to get the gobs in the middle of these extremes...getting good with a diaphram can only help...
-fsh
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 PM

First work on breaking the yelp into two parts, the first high note, and the second lower not. Then combine them.

Try a call that says its a good beginner call. They are easier to start with.

Hal
Old 09-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

THIS IS THE WAY I LEARNED. PLACE THE CALL IN YOUR MOUTH AND DON'T DO ANYTHING. GET USE TO IS SO YOU STOP GAGGING AND SALIVATIONG. WATCH TV, DRIVE, WORK AROUND THE HOUSE. AFTER A HOUR WHEN YOU STOP SALIVATING, TRY TO TALK NORMAL. AFTER TALKING FOR A BIT, A NOISE WILL MAJICALLY APPEAR. YOU WILL NOW BEGIN TO UNDER STAND WHAT EVERYONE IS SAYING. NOW YOU CAN PRACTISE MAKING ANY SOUND, AND SOON PROPER SOUNDS.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:45 AM

main thing is to practice the more you practice the better you will be. I been calling turkeys with a mouth call for 14 years. Just keep workin on it. Good luck
Old 10-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a problem .I have no teeth
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: skinnerdawg

practice, practice, and when you think you got it down... more practice. using a mouth call and getting it to sound like a turkey takes time but you can do it.

the first time i put one in my mouth i about swallowed it

DITTO!