Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun or Rifle

Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Shotgun or Rifle

Can you shoot, and kill a turkey with a rifle (30-30?). I know that people shoot turkeys in the head with a shotgun, but if you decide to mount it wouldn't it's head be allmessed up?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:03 AM

Default RE: Shotgun or Rifle

A 30-30 definately packs enough punch to kill a turkey, or a horse for that matter. Better check your state game laws before you start firing away though. In alot of states, its illegal to hunt turkeys with a rifle. As far as mounting the bird, your taxidermist would probably appreciate you using your shotgun instead of the rifle.#6 shot holes are alot easier to repair than a .30 caliber rifle hole is going to be. Many taxidermists use artificial heads, others will freeze dry the head and repair the tiny holes. Anexperienced taxidermist is used to this type of job and they can work miracles.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:51 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. What I thinking is wouldn't it be easier to shoot the turkey in the body with a rifle (beside the neck), instead of in the head with a shotgun?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:22 AM

Yes, that shot would be easier but most likely a 30-30 would blow the living hell out of a turkey and leave a huge hole that would be almost impossible to repair. If you have access to a .22 magnum, that would get the job done without tearing it up too much. {Check laws first}
Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 PM

I wish the notion of hunting turkeys with a rifle would go away. It gives me the heebie-jeebies to think that someone may be looking for a turkey to sneak up on and shoot when I'm sitting in the woods trying to act like one.

Hal
Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 AM

My friend shot a turkey with a with just a 22. LR and it got the job done nice and clean. He hit it right in the base of the neckand it died right away. But make sure u check ure state laws.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:35 AM

I agree hawg. Not much sport in it. I don't particularly care for fall seasons either. There aren't too many things that compare to the excitement of a longbeard coming in close, gobbling his brains out. It's a feeling that really can't be explained. Neither of the above practices do the sport, or the animal justice. But, I don't make the laws, so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't care for fall seasons??? How else can you control the population?

I've killed turkeys with a rifle. Not the most challenging thing in the world, but to each his own.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:15 PM

i shot a turkey with a 223 and did thejob on it with out blowing the heck out of it
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Drummerdude

Hey thanks for the reply. What I thinking is wouldn't it be easier to shoot the turkey in the body with a rifle (beside the neck), instead of in the head with a shotgun?
Unless that bird was very close, still, andwith head outstretched, you "might" make that shot if you were a Marksman. But if that bird acts like any other turkey walking through the woods, with it's head bobbing up and down, it would be futile at best trying for a head shot with a .30-30!!! That's why a shotgun works well in this sport, with it's many pellets inside a shell, you can harvest a bird clean with a head shot out to 40+ yards away. Here in NY it's illegal as hell to use a rifle!![:-]

Quick Reply: Shotgun or Rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.