Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bowhunt Turkeys

Old 05-27-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Bowhunt Turkeys

Shot alot of birds with my gun, gonna hunt with a bow next spring. Wondering what bowhunters have for setups when hunting the elusive Wild Turkey, also best place to shoot them, In the wing socket, up the rear when strutting, or some other place I'm not aware of?? Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunt Turkeys

Check this site out for shot placement... http://www.arkansasbowhunters.org/mi...urkey_shot.htm ... I would highly recommend a mechanical broadhead with as big of a cutting diameter as you can get. I also like ones with more of a blunt tip than a sharp one. Unlike with deer, you're not looking for a passthrough or a lot of penetration, you just want more knockdown power. I learned about that the hard way, the arrow went clean through, the bird couldn't fly but took off and never found him. Some broadheads I might suggest would be the Vortex™ Pro Extreme Broadheads, or the NAP Spitfire Gobbler Getter Broadheads. You can find these on the cabelas website. I'm gonna go with the Gobbler Guillotine™ Turkey Hunting Broadheads. With these you actually take aim at the birds head and let them rip. They have a 4 inch cutting diameter. All of these can be found at the cabelas website so check them out. The broadhead is the most important part of your turkey hunting equipment.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunt Turkeys

this fall will be my 4th attempt at huntin' them....the first time out with my bow i shot a MONSTER but never recovered it...i'm still heartbroken over that one....and since i haven't had a turkey come into bow range....but i'm not giving up.....just listen to all the advice you get and practice, practice,and practice some more....by the time season gets here you'll have the confidence you need....best of luck to you and always be safe.