Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hen strutting.....

Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default hen strutting.....

anyone ever see a hen strut all on her lonesome??? today i rounded a field corner.....saw a fan....dropped down.....set up the decoy....put on the camo hat....snuck a few yards to the brush line and called.....5 mins pass.....i poke my head up and it was in strut again.....poked its head up this time and saw no beard or anything at all.......i know it was a hen....but i didnt think theyd strut....maybe to show their dominance against another intrutting hen maybe......but sitting in the field like a gobble strutting?? whats going on.....i also have gobblers that want nothing to do with a hen call.....and always seem to be alone....just not interested......am i dealing with homosexual turkeys here or what????
Old 05-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hen strutting.....

I have only ever seen one hen strut and it was just for a second. But they can do it and I have heard of them doing it from other hunters. There is a chance it was possibly a jake. Some jakes have beards so short you cant even see them when they go into strut.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, I saw a hen fly to a tree branch overhead while it was still dark. Until flydown time, no gobbling came from her--no suprise there since it was a hen. But she DID do a lot of fan spreading while still in the tree. I was hopeful that this was a silent tom that would flydown close by, but when she did, I could clearly see that this was a hen
Old 05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

wasnt a jake......no way....no how......i was close...35-40yds.....to dang small....to drab colored....and it had a full fan....not a jake fan.....it strutted for 5 mins or so i bet.....who knows how long before i got there.....and how long before i busted her......and got busted....i know it was a hen no doubt in my mind.....dad said the same thing.....but a strutting jake.....that things head would been blood red...and he would more then likely gobbled and ran to my hen calls......i know it had to be a hen.......ive never seen or heard of a strutting hen...but i guess wilder things have happend......i think im done hunting there.......im dealing with gay turkeys.......
Old 05-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seen it in video's but not in the wild.