Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Why our wildlife are disappearing

Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why our wildlife are disappearing

In the search box type: Elk Slaughter Duck Mountain Manitoba December 2012. Be sure to turn on your speakers.

Last edited by littlearrow; 01-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

As an update: These were First Nation people (natives) hunting on private land supposedly with the owners permission. In Manitoba this is permitted, but what has to change: First Nation and now Metis are allowed to hunt 12 months out of the year. They are allowed to hunt for family members that either do not hunt or unable to hunt, therefore several animals may be harvested as per their treaty. Their season has to be reduced to the standard hunting season length and if the Elk license applications are reduced, there has to be control put on the number they are allowed to harvest. Both are allowed to hunt on Crown Land (Government Land) whether or not it is occupied, and also on Indian reservation or private land providing they have permission. Metis have to have permission from the Chief to hunt on the Reservation. Meat is not to be wasted or sold including antlers. First Nations do not require a license. Metis are the result of the offspring of say a native man and white woman or the opposite. Metis have recently been given a similiar right but must possess what is called a "Harvester Card". This card costs $25.00, valid for one year and allows the harvest of: 1 elk, 1 moose, 1 bear, 1 deer and 50 pound of assorted fish. They are given a tag for each animal species that they are permitted to harvest.
In the case of Elk, the report states that Manitoba was allowed 1700 elk tags for the season 2012 which are obtained on a draw system. This does not take into the account the amount of animals that First Nations and Metis harvest. A percentage of in this case 1700 tags are alloted to licensed guides.
In my case as landowner and I apply for a Landowner Elk license if drawn, I can only hunt on my own land. To be eligible a landowner must have a minimum of eighty acres. If accepted, the following year I would drop to level five as was the rule prior to 2012. As of January 2012 this changed to 10 levels. Whatever level I was in previously I would not lose. Whether I applied or not the following year I would be bumped up one level until I got accepted. The only way I could get drawn sooner is if the upper levels did not get filled in the area I applied for. At level 10, it is possible I could have to wait 10 years before getting drawn and even at the top level does not mean I could get drawn if there were more applications than allowable licenses.