Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trailcam placement?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I went in and changed the SD card from my trailcam. Something has been triggering it off almost every night around midnight. But, what ever it is it is not being picked up by it. Maybe that big buck I have been trying to get to see. I just do not know what it is. I have Lucky Buck mineral out and nothing is hitting it at all. I did have a rabbit show up on it at around 3:30 am. That has been it so farAnd it has been snowing yesterday. Today raining up here so maybe that will help?? Up here it is hard to get something that deer will come into. Unless it is apples and they have been there for a while.. So I am hoping that they will be showing up on that stuff..
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I like 15' from the tree, but location of the mineral lick is also important.

Here is a guide that I have put together for my particular brand, but the placement tips also work for any other brand of minerals.

http://bioplots.com/deer_mineral_guide.html

Hope it helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for some ideas.. I have it set up on a trail that is mostly used a little later on in the year. The moose and deer both use it during our warmer summer months mostly and maybe that is why?? The big buck in there runs when ever it comes to any sort of opening? I have no idea as to why that is. I am thinking that is why it is big and I am hoping this stuff will bring him around as I really want to get a decent look at him. I hunted him last fall and never got to lay eyes on him just his tracks. I did find all his scrapes so I am hoping next fall will be a better hunt for him. For now I am just anxious to see what the heck he looks like.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

The main attractant in most any mineral supplement is salt, the deer primarily seek it during periods of lush green growth. I.E. with the bud swell in spring into summer. About time the antlers harden off, I switch several cams over to scrapes.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Prolly why I am not seeing anything yet then as we do not have much for green growth yet. Still some ice on the ground where the sun does not get in good. I am planning on leaving it in there most of the summer until around mid September. Then I will be moving it down on the edge of a cedar swamp where I had discovered that he travels threw. Right next to a lake and a big heath from a large stream.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I found out what my issue is.. I went in today to move my camera closer and clear out some of the rasberry bushes. So while I was there I decided to look for moose sheds. They have that place looking like a hugh cowpasture.. Anyways I came across some moose bones that was from a winter kill? Not real sure why it died as it could of been a brain worm or something like that.. That was roughly 3/4 of a mile from where I had installed my trailcam. I am going to leave it there anyways as I believe the deer will be back into there again before long.. I hope so anyways..
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Finally got a picture on my Stealth Prowler over that Lucky Buck mineral stuff. I realize this is just a doe but it shows me that they will soon be coming around.. The cam is set up where a skidder trail breaks apart into three different directions. I also lowered my cam about a foot this evening..
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

looks like a nice area, should have some good pictures once they start hitting it hard.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I went back and lowered my trailcam the other day. While I was there I noticed the leaves are starting to come out on all the bushes. So I went back today and thinned them out some more. Trying to help avoid any wind pics. I walked back to where those moose bones were and they are completely gone without a trace. I had purposely taken my camera in with me to try and get a picture of them to share. Since they were not there I took a few pics of what the area I am using is like. I do not believe I could find a better location for it. I have deer, moose and 1 bear come by it to date so the trail and trailcam is going to workout fine. Anyways the first pic is a beaver flowage I walk by. Then the game trail that goes by it as well as looking back at the direction I had came from. Then of coarse my trailcam, you will notice a C-clamp on it. That had to be put on as a result of a black bear attack.The bear broke the bottom latch off it.

A pic after having lowered it. I also am in need of trying to figure out how I can move it in a little close as my nightime pics are a wash.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-10-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I have pretty much threw in the towel when it comes to bucks showing up at this site. I am leaving my trailcam there for whatever does walk in by it and set up my el-cheapo WildGame Inovations trail cam roughly a mile away from this site. It is set up nearly 75 feet from another game trail that moose and deer are currently using. Hopefully a buck or 2 will be showing up there. I also hope my cheapo trailcam will get a pic for me as well. As It works pretty slow and some pics are just plain blacked out?? But, until I purchase a new one this will have to do. Here is a couple of pics on what it looks like.

This next pic is what most of my pics has been coming out like..ggrrrrr.. So if a bear carries this one off I am not sure if I will even look for it. I had this set up at a site that I knew never had been very good rof deer. So I now have it up on the other side of the cutting my stealth is in.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.