Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Spypoint Pics

Old 09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spypoint Pics

Can someone explain why I get good bright IR pics at times and the next pic be much darker? Using a Spypoint IR-A with external battery showing 12.84 volts.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...her/Spypoint4/

Also had a couple of other pics that has me concerned.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...her/Spypoint5/
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ky Bob: The picture color could be changing from night to sun up or daylight to darkness or facing into the rising or setting sun. Check and see what time it shows on your picture or video. As for lighter and darker pictures or video, I could see this using "C" batteries, because if taking a lot they would need time to recover. As for using the 12 volt external and the voltage you are showing, there shouldn't be a problem unless the camera is acting up. Spy Point has a one year warranty, but even if your warranty has expired, send them an email. They maybe able to tell you what the problem is. They offer good customer service. Try a different SD card and format it before putting it in the camera. I am using two Spy Point IRB and the following cards are compatible: SanDisk and Lexar. I just use the 2GB as some of my other cameras are limited to this. The only cameras Spy Point has that accept the SDHC are the IR-6 and IR-8 as per a recent inquiry. If your camera is still under warranty and the above suggestions don't work, contact Spy Point for an return authorization number. You also need a copy of your purchase receipt. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by littlearrow
The only cameras Spy Point has that accept the SDHC are the IR-6 and IR-8 as per a recent inquiry.
Really. I've been using 4GB cards in my IR-A's since I bought the cams a year ago. Did Spypoint inform you of that? I just checked the manual and they state up a card up to 8GB may be used. I've had a lot of trouble with their Customer Service. Not that they won't fix the problem but they have a office in Vermont and Canada. Send something to Vermont for repair and they ship it on to Canada! All that leads to a lot of down time and one place not knowing what the other is doing. I do like their cams a lot but have had trouble from every Spypoint (2)FL-A and (3) IR-A I've owned.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ky Bob: SDHC cards are different than the straight SD. In the SDHC, the HC stands for high capacity. Check your card to see if it has the HC on it. Yes I just received an email from the manufacture in Canada on 9/17/2010 (17th. Sept. 2010). The reason Vermont office forwarded your item to Canada is, the manufacturing plant is in Quebec, Canada. Vermont would be a depot or handling office in the USA. As another example, Cabelas has numerous stores throughout the USA, whereas in Canada they have one in Winnipeg, Manitoba which recently opened a few years ago, taking over SIR (Sydney I. Robinson). If I'm placing an order, I go directly to Cabelas. com, (USA) because they have a larger stock selection and they show whether the item is in stock or on back order. Going back to Spy Point, just select: www.SpyPoint.com. This will take you straight to the Canadian site where you can view their products. By avoiding the Vermont office, this would speed up shipping, or receiving your product. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

In the SDHC, the HC stands for high capacity. Check your card to see if it has the HC on it.
I do know for a fact that the 4GB cards I have been using are SDHC.

Here is a link to newegg.com that shows a 4GB or more will be a SDHC Card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=4gb+sd+card
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ky Bob: Thanks for the link. I've seen these in the stores here, in fact I got two in error today. I purchased supposedly six 2GB SD cards as the store employee took them up to the cashier. Upon arriving home, I found two of them to be 4GB SDHC. I returned two packages of 3 each on Friday past do to receiving the email reply from SpyPoint. Seeing as they work okay in your camera, the next time I swap out my cards I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ky Bob: I found a link that gives a write up on the SD and SDHC cards. Maybe this is why you are having problems. After reading this I won't be using the SDHC cards. Here is the link: http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/SDHC1.pdf
I am wondering if the SDHC card is causing a conflict with the camera software. If you have access to a 2GB or lower SD card, format it and then try it to see if it makes a difference.
Here is another link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital Scroll down to SD and SDHC compatibility issues.

Last edited by littlearrow; 09-20-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

If you have access to a 2GB or lower SD card, format it and then try it to see if it makes a difference.
I have several 1 and 2GB cards so I'll give them a try. Thanks