Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

looking for a new camera probably under $200

Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default looking for a new camera probably under $200

Ok I just sent back my I40 cause I am not happy with the day pictures being black and white, whether they fix it or send me a brand new one, I think I am still going to find me another camera, and just because of the fact that I was getting so many black and white pics, I am even thinking of going back to flash, cause I really don't need to spend another 200$ on a camera that gives me black and white pics LOL
So for $200 what is the better camera ?

Ready GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

For $200 you could have 2 Moultrie D50 cams and some batteries. Probably what I will be buying.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My new favorite under $100.00 cam is the Moultrie D-55 flash cam, I would buy 2, D-55's. Great pic. quality and battery life. Pike
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Hello everyone......many of you already know me from other forums and I usually don't make my first post one of an opiniated nature but the two best cameras under $100 this year IMHO is the:

2010 Moutrie D55 Flash Cam
2010 Wildgame IR4

Both are producing excellent pictures, have extemely high picture count, and are easy on the wallet. Why don't you buy one of each and still have money left over.

I just returned from the QDMA Convention in Louisville and got the opportunity to see more about both of these cams and was very impressed considering the price point.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome J.M.A.N.!! I've read a lot of your post, very helpful. You'll fit in real well around here!!

Let us know how Bushnell treats ya....
Old 07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by J.M.A.N.
Hello everyone......many of you already know me from other forums and I usually don't make my first post one of an opiniated nature but the two best cameras under $100 this year IMHO is the:

2010 Moutrie D55 Flash Cam
2010 Wildgame IR4

Both are producing excellent pictures, have extemely high picture count, and are easy on the wallet. Why don't you buy one of each and still have money left over.

I just returned from the QDMA Convention in Louisville and got the opportunity to see more about both of these cams and was very impressed considering the price point.
anythoughts on the M65?? pros cons??
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fasterem
anythoughts on the M65?? pros cons??
I personally think the design sucks if you want to know the truth. With the top opening the way it does it is an accident looking for a place to happen. Chasingame even reported this as a major problem with the design in 2009.

If you are wanting an IR Camera...get the $89 WGI IR4 for under a hundred bucks and I promise you will not be dissapointed with it IMHO....2 second trigger which makes it a a great feeder/lick cam and will reset as fast as 30 seconds (I have learned this is way to fast on a place you know the animals are coming to) which will fill run a huge picture count on a 2gb card (over 2400). The IR is good to a solid 40 ft but I do feel concentrates on the middle area much more than the sides. I am truly having to resist from buying one myself right now....but am sure I will be before much longer before they become in short supply and everyone and their brother is buying them. I will personally vouch for WGIs CS.....they are no-nonsense....sent in an old THx5.0 that started giving me trouble after 6 months and they sent me a brand new D6 within 10 days

If you added a $79 UWAY Xtend IR-I to it you would "light up the night, have a sub $200 camera that will illuminate to nearly 100' in the right conditions.

Do yourself a favor and only buy SanDisk SD Cards....you will be much happier in the long haul.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Last edited by J.M.A.N.; 07-11-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

I personally think the design sucks if you want to know the truth. With the top opening the way it does it is an accident looking for a place to happen. Chasingame even reported this as a major problem with the design in 2009.

If you are wanting an IR Camera...get the $89 WGI IR4 for under a hundred bucks and I promise you will not be dissapointed with it IMHO....2 second trigger which makes it a a great feeder/lick cam and will reset as fast as 30 seconds (I have learned this is way to fast on a place you know the animals are coming to) which will fill run a huge picture count on a 2gb card (over 2400). The IR is good to a solid 40 ft but I do feel concentrates on the middle area much more than the sides. I am truly having to resist from buying one myself right now....but am sure I will be before much longer before they become in short supply and everyone and their brother is buying them. I will personally vouch for WGIs CS.....they are no-nonsense....sent in an old THx5.0 that started giving me trouble after 6 months and they sent me a brand new D6 within 10 days

If you added a $79 UWAY Xtend IR-I to it you would "light up the night, have a sub $200 camera that will illuminate to nearly 100' in the right conditions.

Do yourself a favor and only buy SanDisk SD Cards....you will be much happier in the long haul.
can you explain what you mean by the design is an accident waiting to happen? I havn't seen these in person just on the website.

I don't know if I am going to go back to to IR camera or not, the one I had I40 took about 1400 pics total in a 5 day span and I got 6 color pics, I have loaded examples of the times of day on different posts on here , i just sent it back to moltrie this week, but I called them about 3 times and all the techs claim that it was not getting enough light, well the only way it would take color pics is if the camera was in DIRECT SUNLIGHT, and I mean direct, I had to be in the middle of a field to get a color pic, so I really don't want to make that 200$ mistake again, maybe it was just the camera but they sure seemed to think it wasnt

and why get the sandisk card? I have a polarold 1 gig and lexar 2 gig, and I never seem to have any problems getting the pics on them or off, what am I missing there?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
we must just have bad luck then. a guy on our lease had bought WGI cams last year that flat out sucked and quit working. he called their tech support and they said send them back. he did and they sent him brand new upgraded cams for replacement. well no shocker, they suck too. they work which is more than the last ones did. the day pics are good but the night pic's are some of the worst i ever seen. i had to move his cams to within 10 feet of the feeder to tell if the deer were bucks or doe's.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

To access your controls on the M65 you have to remove the top cover. If it has rained, water will run in and down into your SD slot. If it is a heavy dew, water will run in and down into your SD slot. I would never own a camera with such poor design.

WGI has made incredible leaps with the 2010 models, especially the IR4....friends of mine who have this cam absolutely love it and the picture quality is good as well as the battery life. That has always been my biggest complaint with WGI was the battery life. If you get one with the external plug in port you can hook it up to 6V SLA 12 amp and run it year round with no worries.

I use my cams inside the woods and don't have any open lot areas to watch so most of my pics are IR. The D6 will take a decent color picture. I am not looking for a picture to put in National Geographic as much as I am looking for a decent picture and information.

Here are some of my night pics:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.