Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Alternative "bait" for deer

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default Alternative "bait" for deer

With corn (grains in general) prices skyrocketing I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what can be put in front of our game cams that is a little easier on our wallets for year around use. Wheat cleanings? Discarded peanutbutter? Any suggestionsare appreciated.

Regardless, seems like a good discussion topic.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Alternative "bait" for deer

during the winter months its hard to beat alfalfa hay, you should be able to buy a bail for a buck or two, it will last for weeks and the deer love it, almost as much as corn. Otherwise during the early season see if you can pick up some deadfall apples from an orchard, they usually sell the dead/bruised apples for pretty cheap, cheaper than corn would cost anyway, and deer will gobble them up.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah salt blocks are all right to at least some of them are and the others some deer just don't like them so like "mikemac" said alfalfa is good to but be sure not to over feed them
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use whatever we can find around the house that we dont need. The deer like old chips and cereal (it is grains and wheat basically) while im not sure Doritos is actually healthy for the deer. Old bread works well too. Old grapes, apples, pears, stuff like that. Clean out your fridge and pantry and you'll be amazed as to what the deer would enjoy.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Deer love Fritos, I feed them out of my hand to my deer. But I have noticed they like pizza the best.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am trying deer "co-cain" and if it works it only cost $7 per block around here so if it works there ya go it's cheap it last along time and the deer come back to the site after the block is gone and tear up the ground where it was!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Cheap dog food!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

dude that i'll give them a desease!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

soy hulls, wheat midds, molasses, hay, hominy, wheat, barley, bakery products etc
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

I use PEANUT BUTTER! They seem to prefer Jiffy, but will eat any brand. I have used it here in FL, GA, AL, NE, and MO! They can smell it from a long way and love it. I smear it on a tree with rough bark so that it gets in all the grooves. Its hillarious to watch them eat it! It's a definite hog magnet as well!

Quick Reply: Alternative "bait" for deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.