Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Dig. Trail Cam $100-$150 or less

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default Dig. Trail Cam $100-$150 or less

I know this stuff gets posted a lot but I am going to run out and grab a digital game camera as soon as I get out of work today. I am trying to find the best deal for around a 100 bucks. I respect everyones opinion on here and would really appreciate some good advice on getting one.

So what do you guys think is the best camera I can get for around that price? And do you know if I can get it at Wal-Mart, D!CKS, or Gander Mountain?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Dig. Trail Cam $100-$150 or less

I bought a Wildview Extreme II at Gander Mountain for 100.00 last Christmas. It was a package deal with card, camera, and some other stuff. I don't know how good it is I gave it away as a gift and the person I gave it to hasn't had it out.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM

I got a Moultrie 2.1 digitalcamera from walmart for 100 dollars about a year ago and I've been happy with the pics i've gotten from it and I would post some if I could figure out how..
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

The Moultrie D40 is the best $100 bucks I've ever spent on a game camera. You can get what appears to be the same identical thing at Walmart , just has a different model number. MFH-DGW4.0
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mcraddock

The Moultrie D40 is the best $100 bucks I've ever spent on a game camera. You can get what appears to be the same identical thing at Walmart , just has a different model number. MFH-DGW4.0
The other side to this is that I've had four (4) D-40s. One of the first two did not power up; the other had a broken spring and terminal in the battery box. Moultrie sent me two 'new' ones after extensive time on the phone listening to, "We're sorry but our techicians are busy assisting other customers. We are experiencing high call volumes and your wait time may be considerable. . . .We wanna dedicate the proper attention to your call and suggest that you call back at another time if your wait time is greater than 15 minutes."

One of the two "new" ones powered up and died. The other works but I'm not impressed with something advertised as 4 mp but delivering something that looks like a 2 mp photo (and that's at a high quality setting).

It was suggested that I use Duracell instead of Ray-O-Vac batteries. And that's nonsense! I checked all the batteries and they will power every other D cell application including a depth finder but not the Moultrie D40. I now have a year's supply of expensive Duracell batteries.

Summary from my experience - the Moultrie D-40 is 25% reliable right out of the box: three out of four are defective. Do NOT buy them online. Plan on wasting a lot of time contacting customer service if you need warranty work done. Plan on being frustrated to the point of admitting you've been a sucker for a good price and move on. Geologic time is their specialty.

It's possible that the rest of the manufacturers of these things are probably just as time-consuming to deal with and just as frustrating. I only have experience with Moultrie and I'm a first-time user of trail cames. Not a good experience for a novice.