Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Camera Check Frequency

Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Camera Check Frequency

I was just wondering how often you guys check your cameras? I check mine once a week. I know that this will depend on the quantity of pictures taken during a period of time, but I am just looking to get an average.

Also, these are the first cameras that I have ever had (Wildview .3) and for the price I am very happy with them. I wish that there was a way to upload pictures to a thumb-drive or something in the field and not have to bring the camera to the computer every time. Are there any cameras with this capability? I was thinking of buying multiple cards and just swapping cards in the field. I don't know if that will work though.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Camera Check Frequency

Buy a couple cards and swap in the field. That works best for me & then you can review pics at home and not spread scent around camera, etc.
The cards have come down alot in price as well.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 PM
OGW

I just set my first camera(Moultrie Game Watcher 2.1MP)out this past Sunday...checked it on Tuesday and it had 90 pic's on it set for 2per event. I uploaded them to my laptop computer by placing the SD Card in my Regular Digital Camera...then erased them from the card and replaced it in the GameCamera and set it back up to see what else it could get.
I checked back on it this past Thursday and it had 47 more pic'son it set for 1 pic per event...did the same process as before but this time I pulled the Game Camera to make a better mount for it with a little more security involved.
4 days total = 137 pic's ....and I'm already completely addicted to this stuff

Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM

My partner and Igo out every other shift now, or every sixth day. Our lease is only about two miles from our station, what a set-up. Starting next month we'll go to every third or fourth shift. Before we start giong that long between visits we want to try some video.

Do yourself a favor and buy two 1 GB cards and a reader. The reader will let you bypass using a camera. Last week Circuit City had 1 GB SD cards for $9.99. Walmart has an SD reader for less than ten bucks. Be careful, I was at Academy the other day and they had a two pack of 128 MB cards for $47.00. The package leads one to beleive there are special cards for trail cams, not true.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM

When my cam is close to home, I try to check it every weekend. But right now it is 3 hours away in the area where my daughter's bull elk hunt will be this fall. I have gone as long as a month without checking it. It has been out for up to 2 months on the same external battery without running the battery down, so I don't know how long the battery will last. Once I set it up on a tank and salt block, and the card filled up (over 500 pics)in 3 days.

I have 2 cards and 2 external batteries, so I just swap the card and battery when I check it. I carry a laptop and card reader in my truck, so I don't have to go all the way home to view the pics.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

i cant wait more that a week per spot....get to excited.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get an aditional card. Get the biggest one that your camera supports and then you may be able to get away with only checking once every two weeks. The less you are out there checking your camera, then less of a chance you are to spread scent around...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, if you get a second card, check ebay...you can get them for half the price of what you would pay for them at wal-mart or an electronics store...I know I got quite a deal!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: r33h

Also, if you get a second card, check ebay...you can get them for half the price of what you would pay for them at wal-mart or an electronics store...I know I got quite a deal!

Be careful with the eBay SD cards. There has been a rash of poor quality fakes on eBay. I did buy a few 64's for our old camera on eBay and they were fine and I did get a good deal on them. Flash memory is dropping fast as higher capacity cards are cheaper to make. With all due respectI still do not think you can beat $9.99 for a 1 GB SD card.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: luke35whelan

ORIGINAL: r33h

Be careful with the eBay SD cards. There has been a rash of poor quality fakes on eBay. I did buy a few 64's for our old camera on eBay and they were fine and I did get a good deal on them. Flash memory is dropping fast as higher capacity cards are cheaper to make. With all due respectI still do not think you can beat $9.99 for a 1 GB SD card.
I hadn't realized that they had dropped down that low! I got my card off ebay about a year ago an they were costing more than that. If that is the price, then there is no reason to even mess with ebay becuase you are goig to pay that for shipping.