Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

First Trailcam Stolen.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Trailcam Stolen.

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

ORIGINAL: npaden

I'm also putting up no trespassing signs and going to use a combination paddlock on the gate. I'm thinking about mounting an IR camera way up in a tree above the gate, but not sure if it would be worth the trouble and expense or not. My luck it would get stolen or shot.

I was just about ready to suggest that but I see you already thought of it

- It would be a good idea, or even maybe put the camera is some sort of cage even if its up in a tree.
Sorry to hear about your stolen camera. The main reason I use IR trail cameras is to be less intrusive to the area. No white flash that can be seen for great distances at night. This will help eliminate the two legged factor in your trail cam disappearing. Also setting the camera up out of normal reach will help.

It is sad that people will steal other peoples property, but it will happen. Locking it to a tree will help, but if someone really wants it, they will get it. I have read where some have actually cut down the tree to take the camera, so cutting a cable would not be out of the question. The pythons are not that difficult to cut, all they will do is stop the hapstance thief, you know the one that just happens to come onto your camera.

napden even if your camera gets shot does not mean your images are destroyed. Usually the memory cards are off to the side and if someone shoots the camera, it would be the lens, not the memory card. If your worried about that, place a shield over where your card is located to try and protect it. I have actually read a test where someone actually shot a digital trail camera to see if it would alter the recorded pics (through static shock or something) but the pics were not harmed.

Again sorry about your cam.