Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Camera over Deer Carcass - what to expect?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camera over Deer Carcass - what to expect?

Okay, I think I've officially crossed the threshold of sanity. Yesterday a co-worker stopped by my land because he was in the area and checked on things and happened to mention that there was a deer that had been killed by a car just 3/4 of a mile from my property.

So I zipped down there last night, threw the carcass in the bed of the truck, dove to the land and plopped it down about 10 feet away from one of my trail cameras.

What should I expect to find on the camera in a week when I go to check on it? I've read that coyotes aren't really into eating things that are already dead, what about bobcats? I wonder if the pigs will come eat it? I figure it will for sure attract some vultures. Hopefully they will do a good job eating it in the next week and it won't be a rotting stinking mess when I go back and check on it.

Anyone else done something like this? Am I completely insane?

Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Camera over Deer Carcass - what to expect?

Here are some pictures posted by someone else.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The top picture is mine. It was on a corn pile but I think he was snooping around because the neibors dog was in heat.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Not insane at all. I had camera out all winter on skinned beaver carcasses. You get tons of pics of birds. I got pics of skunks, coyotes, cats, dogs, owls like picking at things too. I would love to have had a deer carcass, its illegal for me to pick up roadkill and take it. God knows why. F&G would rather it rot in the ditch I guess.
Don't know why someone would say coyotes dont eat dead stuff. They love dead stuff, the stinkier the better.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn'tthink about it being illegal to move the road kill. I'll have to check on that! [&:]

I would have to guess this had been dead for about a day already. It had plenty of flies on it and was starting to stink. It looks like one of this years fawns because it was pretty small. I didn't check it out too closely, I was wearing gloves and holding my breath for the most part!

Hopefully I'll get some decent pictures of something!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure to post them
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm guessing you'll get lot's of pic's of scavengers
Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

im sure if you got coyotes they will visit.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crows, Crows and more Crows.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM

I tried it once, a few years ago with a 35 mm camera, and the first pic was a coyote, but the noise of the camera scared it, and after that nothing except deer, I did get some pics of deer coming up to it and checking it out. This winter, we butchered a steer, and hauled the carcass back into the woods, and I hung my cuddeback on it, I got several pics of a huge chicken hawk, and a few crows, some deer passing by, and several awesome coyote pics up close and personal. Oh and one red fox, it was pretty cool to get pics of different stuff. Heres a couple pics.

Quick Reply: Camera over Deer Carcass - what to expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.