Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

New Pics on camera watching over Homemade Peanutbutter Bucket

Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Pics from Homemade Peanutbutter Bucket

ORIGINAL: rtread

So you empty one or more jars of peanut butter in a bucket and hang it where the critters can get a whiff of it? I use peanut butter as bait in a live trap.....most critters come to it. I'm just trying to get ideas on getting varieties of critters coming to my Candid Camera.
I can send you instructions to your email if you send me a PM and orI can postclose up pictures of it. What's nice is they are cheap and they seem to work well and last quite a long time.

But all it is, is amix nuts can or acoffee can with five holes in the lid with a shirt hanger strung in the middle of the bottom of the can. You take 2 parts peanut butter and one part molases or syrup and mix it. You might add a little waterto make the dripeffect work better. Also you need to duck tape the lid tothe can so it stays on. Also make sure to spray paint your can and slid your desired color.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

What size holes in the bottom of the can?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the instructions: You can modify them to fit your needs. I made a circle at the end of the hanger to hold it in the can for instance. I went with five holes and the recommended hole size was 1/8 to 1/16 inch.

Looking for an easy to build attractor/feeder to bring deer to your hunting spot? Look no further. Remember to check the game laws where you live before building this gizmo. Don't want to waste your time if such a thing as this is illegal.

Materials Needed:

empty coffee can with lid, 3 lb can preferred as it holds more
camoflauge tape
wire clothes hanger
peanut butter
molasses
duct tape

Assembly Instructions:

1) Wash coffee can out with baking soda and water. Rinse well and let dry.

2) Cover the outside with camoflauged tape. If you don't have any camo tape, paint the outside with black, brown, grey, etc. colored paints. Paint it a solid color or make your own camo pattern. Just remember, no bright colors. You may want to wash the can out again if you paint it.

3) Drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the can just big enough for the hanger wire to go through.

4) Straighten out the hanger. Make a loop in one end a little smaller then the diameter of the can being used. Bend it in a way that the long end comes back to the center of your loop (similar to a lowercase "e") and then upward in a 90 degree angle. Stick the loose end of the wire through the can from the inside out. Adjust the loop and wire as necessary so that the can hangs straight on the wire.

5) Bend the exposed end of the wire into a loop or hook so you can hang the can securely.

6) Now take the lid and drill several 1/8 to 3/16 holes in it. Not to many though.

7) Mix together some peanut butter and molasses. How much depends upon the size of the can you use plus how often you want to refill the it. You will have to experiment a little to get the consistency that you want. You don't want it too runny or too thick. Eddie says to mix it to the consistency that you would have if you were mixing together peanut butter and honey for a sandwich.

8) Put the peanut butter mixture into the can. Attach lid and use duct tape to secure it to the can.

9) Hang the can in a shooting lane near your stand location, preferably in a sunny spot, about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. As the sun warms the peanut butter mixture it will drip through the holes in the plastic lid attracting deer. Don't forget to mask your scent while in the woods hanging your gizmo.

10) Check and refill as needed. Place well before season so the deer get conditioned to using it.

NOTE: Check your local game regulations before using this gizmo. Also the spread of Chronic Wasting Diesase (CWD) in some places has caused concern over feeding deer so keep that in mind before using

Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand the reason for the wire hanger? Couldn't you just punch a couple holes through the side and run a wire through those and hang it up? Does the hanger going through the bottom of the bucket accomplish something that I'm not grasping?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So gravity takes effect by hangingit straight up and downand its easy to take the lid off when the peat butter runs out to add more.Putting is onits side the peatbutter would not run outas well.

The wire is used to hange the bucket straight up and down. Byputtingone hole through the bottom of the bucket you can run the wire through it and hang it upside down and let the peatnut butter run out of the lid's holes from thetop

I will post pictures this evening if it is still not making sense.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids and the metal handles and I was thinking it would be pretty easy to drill a few holes in the bottom of them and throw a whole mess of peanut butter and molasses in. I could just tie a rope to the metal handle and hang it where ever I wanted.

I wonder how much 2 gallons of peanut butter and a gallon of molasses costs?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

5lbs might not be to big because I guess the can I used was prolly 3lbs. I had this peatbutter bucket out for a week and it still was pretty full. The only concern of getting larges is itwould be a big mess if a racoon or something else got into one of those or if it started to pile up to much if you didnt have a lot of activity under it. Sometimes it is just trial and error.

I used a cheap syrup instead of molasses and a cheap jar of peatnut butter and just added alittle water to the mix. You can get the peanut butter jars I believe the 1lb jars 10 for $10 at like a Kroger's when on sale.The syrup wasIthink around a dollar and a half.

I am assuming your design would work. You would have to tie a big not at the end of the rope inside of bucket so when you hung it up it would hold.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking about using a 5 gallon bucket instead of a 5 lb bucket.

I checked at some bulk online sites and 35lbs of peanut butter was $78 with free shipping.

Pretty expensive snack for the critters!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I was thinking about using a 5 gallon bucket instead of a 5 lb bucket.

I checked at some bulk online sites and 35lbs of peanut butter was $78 with free shipping.

Pretty expensive snack for the critters!

Ya you need to keep it low scale as an attractant to get pics notasan nutritional source. That is a lot of peanut butter.

This bucket dosent have a lid on it right now, butit is just one I had laying around the house.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Inside of bucket

Quick Reply: New Pics on camera watching over Homemade Peanutbutter Bucket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.