Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bad Hit Buck

Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad Hit Buck

HEY!! thats my arrow!!

honestly guys...i hit a buck this year almost the EXZACT same spot. my arrow went in dead broadside though..maybe a TAD right of that arrow..maybe not because of the angle but it was that same spot. same 3 inches of penetration...my arrow busted off with 3 inches missing. 400yd sparse blood trail or so and no deer. next day did a huggggge grid search with 7 of us. nothing. turned over ever leaf in the area..probably a good mile around my area and of last blood. nothing. seen a couple times through regular season over a month and a half later. moved a bit slow but was fine. he was later killed im almost posative. someone killed what they said was a NICE 9pt with good mass and tine legnth and a solid 14" spread not far from there(actually right where his blood trail ended practically!). that has to be him. thats what i remember seeing. bummed i didnt get him..

the story....i released the arrow..20yds broadside..not much lower then me because he was on the side of the hill...BAHed and stopped him. the second he froze i released the arrow. lighted nock told me i was going to smoke him. perfect flight headed right where i wanted it to go right above the heart. as the arrow was mid flight the buck did something i thought they only did in the movies...he dropped practically to the ground. i watched the arrow hit him there..i about died. i thought for sure i got a pass through and hopefully it wasnt as high as it looked. the nock shut off when it hit the solid back bone. that thing stopped my arrow(which had about 55ft lbs of KE) like nothing.

wish i would have killed him..would been a DANDY first buck with a bow..been my best buck to date...just a real nice buck for the area..learned a couple valuble lessons that cant really be taught or read in a book. i never want to wound a deer..lost alot of sleep for about a week till im almost 100% sure i seen him again in a field one evening.

amazing how quick them animals can be...and how tough they are...i dont care who you are..a 3blade muzzy busting into your back bone is gunna hurt!. he never once bedded either. i sat in my tree as long as i could without falling out(10-15 minutes i wont lie..i couldnt control myself..i dropped my phone and everything trying to txt my dad and buddy to tell them i had a tracking job) i just couldnt stay in that tree i would have fallen out! so i ever so quietly snuck down. found the arrow and stood it up and snuck out of the woods. packed my gear into the truck and went to get help..came back an hour and a half or so after the shot..never bedded..never pushed him...he made the 400yd dash and vanished...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Oh man I hate to see that
Same here! I am surprized however that he hasn't tried to bite the arrow and pull it out though! I am just as surprized that it didn't break off when running thru the woods and stuff as well. i suspect that if that deer had made it that far and hasn't fallen over then he should be alright. They seem to be able to take alot and can heal themselves up pretty good. At least I hope that little one did anyhow.
My thoughts exactly

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

that sucks that that happend i hope he didnt die a slow death or survived.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 AM

the first thing I noticed was the flat angle that the arrow appears to have entered. I guess the arrow could be bent from moving through the woods but it looks to me like they shot it from the ground.
we all make the occasional bad shot but this really drives home the point of the need for practice
Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

that arrow is in the "infamous" waste area between the vitals and spine. that deer will almost definitely be fine and live. you can shoot them ther with a gun or bow and not hit anything. I shot a small buck a few years back with a hole in that spot that had healed (mostly). deer are tough critters, he'll be fine (or he won't - there are many more in the woods; survival of the fittest; it's that old saying "stuff" happens; it's never a good thing, but just part of hunting though)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

bummer, hate to see that but you got a rare picture, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM

there is a spot right about where that arrow hit that does not hit anything vital.

I shot a nice buck last year with my bow and didn't get him.we searched till way into the night and past noon the next day.just couldn't find any sign of him.that was Sept. of 05.

this year in Nov. 06 I shot a very nice buck that had been shot at about the same spot that I'm pretty sure my arrow hit.he had a section of the last rib (about 2" gone)just below the spine with a scar on the other side.he was in great shape and was less than 100 yards from where I shot him a year eariler.he did have a deformity of his right horn.I shot him on the left side just below the spin and at the last rib.he was fat and in good shape 147 lbs.

deer are amazing animals when it comes to healing.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Tree Climber-
Thats a nice buck! Maybe the one I posted the picture of made it and I will be able to get a shot at him next season (maybe with a little bigger rack!).
MIKE
Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Oh man I hate to see that
Same here! I am surprized however that he hasn't tried to bite the arrow and pull it out though! I am just as surprized that it didn't break off when running thru the woods and stuff as well. i suspect that if that deer had made it that far and hasn't fallen over then he should be alright. They seem to be able to take alot and can heal themselves up pretty good. At least I hope that little one did anyhow.
My thoughts exactly
I'm thinking the same thing.

Quick Reply: Bad Hit Buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.