Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

you were right

Old 09-17-2002, 11:08 PM

Default you were right

I went down to the local range today for a little target practice. I was shooting 5 arrows from the 20 yard line and, as usual, I’d get one or two near or in the bullseye and the rest would be off by varying distances. It was toward the end of my lunch-hour and while I was pleased that some of my arrows were hitting their mark, I was still perplexed by that fact that so many others were not. This despite that fact that I was drawing, aiming, anchoring and releasing in what seemed to me the exact same manner, or so I thought. I then began to think about all the recent posts on this forum about the importance of form to consistent shooting and that even a seemingly minor lapse can wreak havoc with one’s shooting. At that I decided to try a little experiment. As before I would concentrate on the spot I wanted to hit while I brought my bow to full draw and came to anchor with my bow arm pointing at my intended target. At that point, however, I would shift concentration from the target to going through a mental checklist of my form. First I’d concentrate on extending my bow arm, next I’d make sure that there was tension in the back muscles between my shoulder blades; then I would think about letting the string just slip from my fingers and, as the shot got off, I’d make sure that I was still pointing at the target and my drawing hand came smoothly back behind my cheek. I was dumbfounded by the result – all 5 arrows landed in a 5-6 inch cluster around the bullseye. This was, by far, the best group I had ever shot (I know, nothing to write home about for you wickedly accurate old-timers, but for a novice like me this was pretty neat stuff).

I packed it up after that round because I didn’t want to spoil the moment and I wanted to savor the sight of those arrows clustered together for the rest of the day. The point of all of this is that I now believe that my brain is figuring out how to point my arrows so that they fly where I’m looking at just fine. It’s the rest of my body parts that need to get with the program. Like many of you have been saying all along – form is everything. I think I get it now.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:37 AM

Default RE: you were right

Consistancy is what it is all about in anything involving muscle memory.
When you think you have someting figured out, then is the time to be extra careful and MAKE SURE you are going through the WHOLE process as you figured out.

I teach private musical instrument lessons and have the same issues with my students.

The mental checklist is an example I use that works very well. Make sure you step through it in the same order everytime and after a while that process becomes automatic and then your shooting becomes better as the little things (that make all the difference in the world) are being done ALL THE TIME!

Congratulations and Good Luck in the coming weeks as you work to fine tune your shooting!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Mud>
The only advice I'd give is when you're shooting like that, keep shooting. When you shoot poorly is the time to pack it in. On those days,Try to quit on a good shot, and then just forget it that evening.
Good luck!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice to know you're figuring it out. I decided to hang it up early last season 'cause it wasn't going right. It turned out that I wasn't holding my bow arm still. After I started making sure I held it still, things went back to normal. It's interesting how one thing can throw everything else off. It's too bad your lunch hour was ending or you could've really gotten that form down. I think, that being able to group is more important than what you're hitting. It might sound off; but my logic is that if I'm grouping, even if I'm not hitting what I want to, my form is good and it's just my aim that needs adjusting. Two days ago I was at the range and after a while (was getting tired) starting hitting a little high. I wasn't happy about it, but didn't get too worried because I was still grouping. I'm not trying to disregard being able to hit what you want to though. I'd be happy with 5-6" groups at 20yds. As of yet that's not consistent enough for me, my arrows drop drasticly towards 20yds, so 'till that's worked out I'm keeping things around 15yds.

God bless,
Brandan

Edited by - Irishlad32 on 09/18/2002 17:30:58
Old 09-18-2002, 06:45 PM

Well, things weren't going quite as swimmingly for me today. Overall I still shot better today than I normally do, but I wasn't consitently placing all my arrows into a nice 6 inch group. I noticed my shots start to wander when I concentrate on accuracy, and begin grouping nicely (and more accurately strangely enough) when I concentrate on form and forget about accuracy. I guess nirvana is when I can achieve both simultaneously. Practice, practice, practice...
Old 09-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mud,

I have never been able to focus on accuracy. The only things I can focus on are form, focal point, and follow through. If I take care of those three, accuracy will take care of itself.

You can even break these down into subpoints.

Form: grip, steady bow arm, deep grip, hold with your shoulder blades, head and bow canted at same angle

Focal point: focus on your point of aim, focus on your sight picture, focus, focus, focus.

Follow Through: Hold your bow arm up and steady, either hold your hand steady against your sheek or let it come stright back past your cheek and behind your ear, follow the arrow through its flight to the target.

Best of luck on your traditional journey.

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy