Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Finger Placement ?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Finger Placement ?

Spring has finally come to the UP of MI, so now I can shoot without 3 layers of clothes on. This is my question. I usulay hold the string with the tips of my fingures, this works good for the first few shots but my lowest fingure soon gives out. i have tried holding the string in the last joint of my fingers. This worked ok but I only had time for a few shots (so many fish so little time), so I didnt realy get a feel for it. I was just wondering what you guys preferred. This is another ? have any of ya seen this guy on OLN, Tred Barta. I like him, I dont think I would be buds with him but he is fun to watch, what do you guy think.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM

Default RE: Finger Placement ?

Don't know what to try for fingers, other than shoot a dozen arrows a day tell you work up to more. Yes, I like his show. IHe may get abbrassive if you had to work for him on his boat. I like his style, long bow and homemade arrows.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds contrary to commonsense, but I get a much crisper release w/a deep hook (1st joint) on the string.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, & I haven't watched Mr. Barta enuff to form a solid opinion.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My answers are the same as Vic (arrowsmit). I switched to a deep hook a few years ago--almost didn't try it because it just didn't make sense to me that I could get a good release that way (had trouble with it for a long time). Finally tried it, and it works great. For one, it's consistent, and consistency is the goal. It's also more comfortable. One thing to keep in mind it don't try to let go of the string; just relax your fingers and let the string shove them out of the way.

As for Tred, I've only seen a couple of his shows. Entertaing enough, but not to the point that I've bothered to be sure and catch them again (but I don't watch much TV anyway).

Chad
Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've also gone to a more deep hook style (groove of fingers). One thing that will help over time that bottom finger, think when release to relax that finger when you go to release. Found that in John Schulz's book and it works awesome. Takes a bit of practice for certain but you should see results pretty quick. The other thing is dont always shoot for accuracy, shoot for form paying attention to your own nuansances. It not only pulled me out of a nasty target panic slump, it has helped my shooting all together.

As for Tred. Well I gotta say I aint all that impressed. Sure would be nice to do the things he is capable of doing (money money money), however as much as he says he's not it sure seems like he's in it for the kill, jmho. I've only seen a few episodes both fishing and hunting and turn away when it comes on.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:24 AM

Deep hook for me also. Bend your frist and second nuckle on you fingers. See how they line up.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: LBR

I switched to a deep hook
Chad

thats the first joint from the finger tips right?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats the first joint from the finger tips right?

yes.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get the string in the 1st joint also--seems to work good for me.

Quick Reply: Finger Placement ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.