Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Stress cracks in old bows

Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Stress cracks in old bows

I've been shopping longbows and recurves on ebay. Can you guys give me some advice on what to look for in a shootable bow? I'm learning (trying) to shoot a longbow, but my wife would like to shoot with me sometimes. I have been looking at some of the old target recurves, 25 - 30 # for her. I would like to set her up for off the shelf instinctive shooting too. There are some real works of art from the late 60's and 70's. (She wants one that is pretty.) Many of these show slight cracks across to the limb. Some have cracks along the limb that look more serious to me. Just guessing though. Also just bought a nice Wes Wallace Royal for myself. Are these as good as they look?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stress cracks in old bows

Lots of times - in fact, usually - small cracks going across the limb are nothing more than cracks in the old varnish. Nothing to really worry about. Just make it a point to look real close at 'em to make sure the cracks ARE in the varnish and not in the fiberglass.

The large cracks that you see at the base of the limb aren't real serious, as long as they don't extend past the fadeouts. I've seen some old bows with real bad stress cracks like that and they shot fine. It's when you have cracks and seperations in the working part of the limbs that you really don't want to be messing with them.

By the way, the WW Royal IS as good as it looks.