Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional Bows: "Easier" on the Shoulder than Compounds?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Traditional Bows: "Easier" on the Shoulder than Compounds?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had a similar problem and if it will go away when I use a traditional bow.

When I draw my compound (50#) with a straight bow arm, the shoulder of my pulling arm sometimes "slips" at the beginning of the draw. It's not that I pull a muscle or dislocate my shoulder, but it is mildly painful, and I'm concerned about long-term damage. I think the slip occurs because all the draw weight is felt at the beginning of the draw, when my drawing arm is extended (and weak). I've been forced to switch to the push-pull method, which works alright, though sometimes my drawing shoulder slips even with this method.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem or heard from people who have? As I said before, I'm wondering if this problem will go away when I use a traditional bow. I figure that, since the peak draw weight on a traditional bow is felt at full draw, when our shoulders have the most leverage, I won't have any more "slips." What do y'all think? I've been in the market for a traditional bow anyway, but now I'm in the market because I'm concerned about my shoulder gettin' torn up by the compound.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Traditional Bows: "Easier" on the Shoulder than Compounds?

I don't know if there's any truth to it

Compounds are more mechanical for sure, but I think often people try to compare drawing a 70# compound to a 48# recurve and of course the recurve will feel smoother and have less physical impact because of the weight. Both bows of equal draw weight I would hazard to say would effect a guy the same.

I've never noticed any real difference anwyay
Old 03-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just started shooting a recurve last year.

with my martin compund, at 62 lbs, i could only shoot maybe 75 arrrows and my arm would hurt. and i'd feel it the next day.

with my 50 lb gear recurve, i can easily shoot 200 or more arrows in a session without discomfort, and no bow shoulder "hangover" the next day...

don't know the reasoning behind it, just know that i've got a nice martin for sale!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-27-2005, 07:13 AM

I had rotater cuff surgery three years ago and after about 2 years of rehab I have been able to get my shooting back. I had a hot Merlin storm set up with max 2000 cams and had to sell it cause I just could not get through the buildup.
I picked up a Matthews LX and am able to shoot it at 55 lbs but I pretty much have to cross my eyes and expell gas to draw it , and then If I even think about creeping that bow takes me for an unpleasant ride. I did manage to take a deer with it this year.
I picked up a little 2lb high country bow last year with a carbon riser and found it easier to shoot. I just traded up to a SST or Tss whatever and am pulling 65 lbs and getting high 300fps with it. I can easily do a half hour shooting session and not fatigue. The cam on the High country seems to have a longer power stroke and a much softer buildup when drawing. I guess if you have shoulder problems It is worth checking around different bows to find one that mechanically reduces the stress of drawing.
I have heard good and bad things about the High Country , but I Am leaning toward taking it on a big game hunt and use my Matthews as my backup bow.
The biggest Problem with the high country is it looks and feels like a kids bow, but it really slings arrows.

I was shooting my old 42 lb Bear Temujin Target recurve last night and did about 200 shots and my shoulder only hurt for about an hour after the session. If I did that many with my compound I would probably be in intensive care!
I am a lefty and my right shoulder is where the damage was. My biggest problem is not so much the draw, but having the strength to hold the bow up and steady.
I do a lot of light weight workouts on my old nautlis weight setup.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 AM

I think it is a matter of getting your arm stength up. A good exercise would be to get a dumb bell at a wait you can handel and lay face down on a bench, let you arms hand down, in your pulling hand grab the wait and lift it up while bending your elbow. This is a pritty comon exercise it realy works you stabilizer muscle, thats probable what you are having a problem with. Also you can get a work out band and basicly just pull it back repeatedly this will not do much for strength but your muscles will be more steady and not slip as much.