Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Zwickey with bleeders/magnus with bleeders

Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Zwickey with bleeders/magnus with bleeders

What are your opinions of Zwickeys with bleeders compared to magnus with bleeders? I have used magnus two blade in the past with success, but have never liked the magnus with the bleeders. They never seemed to shoot as straight, were noisy, and I felt that the bleeders didn't stay in place very well. I have also used Zwickey, but never tried them with the bleeders. I'd like to hear from some that have used the bleeders on both of the heads.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zwickey with bleeders/magnus with bleeders

I use the Magnus heads. For me they fly the same, with or without the bleeders. I do orient the heads so they are horizontal when the arrow is on the string. I like being able to take the bleeders out to resharpen them or replace them if necessary. They are a tough head. I've shot as many as 4 deer with the same head and bleeder set, including a spine shot. Some of the older heads did have loose tolerances for fitting the bleeders. I'd use a little bees wax rubbed into the slot to make sure the bleeder was retained.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I'd choose the Zwickey if I wanted a 4 blade. Replaceable bleeder blades scare me.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Replaceable bleeder blades scare me.
How come?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Bob, I don't want to be dressing a critter & grab ahold of one. Spooky to me 'cause I can definitely see how it could happen, & I've heard stories about ppl getting cut badly doing just that.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

One big advantage of the Zwickey 4-blade heads is that you can use long adapters on them. The magnus heads, because of the bleeders, require short adapters. And short adapters aren't as strong as the long ones.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the input. I guess the reason that I am considering going to a bleeder is because I have had problems in the past with two bladed heads. Now I can assure you that the heads were extremely sharp, however, the blood trails that I had were very poor compared to other heads to say the least. In all I shot three deer with magnus two bladed heads, two were perfect double lung pass throughs. Both of the deer died within about 70 yards, and I could almost see them from where I shot, so a blood trail really wasn't that necessary, however I looked anyway. Really, there was hardly any blood. The third one was a liver hit, and I believe that I lost that deer from the lack of a proper blood trail. I waited five hours before tracking and looked for two days for the deer and really had nothing to go on except direction. Anyway, from what I could tell, I would assume that I would have had a better trail if I had been using a different head. I have never had such poor blood trails from any other heads. What do you guys that use a two bladed head? Was this just a mishap for me? What do your blood trails look like with a two bladed head? Now I already know that if you hit them right they are not going very far.

JRW, thanks for the info on the adapters, I never thought of that, and I like you don't like the short adapters.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I donno...I've shot several deer w/2 blade heads over the years & I've seen what looked like identical hits (even look the same during "autopsy"), where one sprayed blood everywhere while the next left only sparce sign.

Also, in my experience multiple blade heads (Snuffers & WWs) may have yielded slightly better sign, but I'm convinced that the distance of the recovery averaged longer w/em.