Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bow Storage

Old 02-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Bow Storage

So I am shooting my bow daily (Martin Hunter)...do I need to unstring it daily or is it OK to leave it strung up?

Its not much work to string it but is a few minutes I could be shooting.....
Old 02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow Storage

If you lay it flat or hang it on two dowels suspended by the string it's better to leave it strung when shooting it daily. Just don't leave it standing in a corner somewhere. It's very easy to damage your bow (or yourself) when stringing/unstringing, esp if you don't use a good bowstringer. Even then you should be very careful.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arrowsmit's advice is sound, I'm sure more recurves have been damaged by improper stringing/unstringing than anything else. But, you will start losing some poundage by leaving it continually strung. If you've got a bow stringer and know how to use it, you have to weigh the potential for a mis-step while stringing against potential long term strength reduction. I store mine unstrung always, and am careful when using the stringer.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I plan to use mine the very next day, I'll usually leave it strung. However, anything longer then that I unstring it. Always use a bow stringer. I have two different one'e. One has leather that slips on the very tips, and one has rubber that fits on the back of the limb. the leather one was much more expensive, however, I feel the ruber one is safer to use.

Like others have said, never leave it standing upright in the corner, strung or unstrung.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks to all, I use the Selway stringer and find it seems safe and easy.

I made a "rack" out of PVC and some foam pipe insulation so rest the bow on the fadeouts either strung or unstrung.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't know that.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:07 PM

I have a peg rack in the bedroom where all of my bows, both recurves and longbows hang strung year round. If they have lost any poundage it is so small it doesn't matter aand if it is a laminated limb, you can unstring it for a few days and it will usually come back.

I used to make strings for 3 different bowyers and they all said the same thing. Leave 'em strung, just not in heat or direct sunlight.