Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrow grouping

Old 09-04-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Arrow grouping

I've been shooting a traditional bow for about 6 weeks now and at 20 yards I'm now able to group my arrows in a 6" circle fairly consistently (when I shoot with good form). Moving out to 25-35 yards I've begun, however, to notice that my arrows are regularly grouping in symmetrical patterns (see diagrams below). The groups are 12"-16" at 30 yards (again, when I'm shooting with good form). It's happened enough times now that I don't think that this is a coincidence. Has anyone seen this before and know what it means? BTW I generally shoot 4 arrows in a round when I'm shooting at paper targets.

x........x

....O.....

x........x

-----------

xx...O...xx

-----------

.....x
.....x

.....O

.....x
.....x

-----------

x
..x

....O

......x
........x
Old 09-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2002, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Arrow grouping

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>You didn't say what you release metod you use <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. I shoot using my fingers. Two under and one on top. I anchor with the middle finger in the corner of my mouth. To release I just relax my fingers and away it goes. I love the utter simplicity of the bow, I wish I would have gotten into this 20 years ago.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

At this stage part of it is probably your brain trying to adjust for range and windage. Add to the equation that your &quot;zone of focus&quot; is quite likely bigger as well, ( the tiny spot you concentrate on at 20yds is now a lot bigger) can cause you to begin shooting at the target as opposed to a small spot on it (been there, done that, still going there occaisionally ) Try using the nock of the first arrow you shoot as your target, regardless if it's in the middle or not.

RC
Old 09-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Actually, I don't think you're doing too badly for the short amount of time you've been shooting a stick.

RC brings up some very good points and offers a good way to bring your focus together on the more distant target. It all takes time and lots of practice so that you end up doing everything exactly the same way every time.

What type of aiming method are you using? Do you cant the bow? If so, do you cant your head and hand the same so you're not torquing the string? Are you putting a death grip on the bow? If so you could be torquing the bow. Use a glove or a tab? One may work better that the other for you. Arrows properly matched to the bow? Bow properly tuned? Too much weight (shaking). Sometimes even experienced shooters think that they're using proper form until someone watches them shoot and then they find out any number of things that they are doing wrong. For instance, I've been shooting a stick for 10 years or so. I was shooting ok, but not great at a shoot that I regularly attend and a friend noted that I was short drawing and not reaching a solid and consistent anchor. I had no clue. So I started all over again having to retrain myself out of the bad habits that I had unknowingly developed. My accuracy improved almost immediately.

Keep on keepin on. As long as you're enjoying yourself and your shooting improves for you, you must be doing something right! Have fun.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:26 AM

Consistency is the key. Consistency in where you anchor; consistency in draw length; consistency in the way you grip the bow; consistency in the pressure you put on the string with your various fingers; consistency in the angle you cant the bow; consistency in the way you hold your head; consistency in your release; consistency in the time you hold on point; consistency in the height of your string arm elbow; consistency in your follow thru. Alter any one of them and it will affect your impact point.

Jack
Old 09-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2002, 09:43 AM

When ever my groups start to get wide I move back up to 10 yards and work on form. Good form is the key to good consitant shooting.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:57 PM

For what it's worth I will add my 2 cents. The first group looks typical the arrows are grouped all around the center. The next two patterns look like you are concentraiting on vertical and horizontal grouping not on the bullseye. The last group is due most likely to a tired bow arm or shoulder. You are dropping it down and to the right typical of someone looking for the arrow to strike and not following through. I would advise to shoot at a blank target from about 5 yards and concentrate on form alone not outcome. With good form the arrows will group by themselves. When I used to shoot tournaments I would practice my concentration by shooting at a paper plate with a tiny black dot just big enough to see from about 10 yards. Burn a hole in the dot with your eyes and concentrate on every shot. Also practice with one arrow and take your time. I used to have my wife video my shooting sessions with a camera. You would be surprised how sloppy of a shooter you may be once you see it on video. What you think you are doing you may not be doing the camera does not lie. One last hint is to go the Easton archery web site and print out a copy of their tuining instructions. Just like in golf many of our bad shots are taken before we ever make the shot it is in the set up. Hope this helps.
Roadkill15
Old 09-15-2002, 06:55 PM

This is all great advice for a novice like myself. Over time I have come to appreciate just how important good form is to consistent shooting. I still have a ways to go, however. Often I’ll shoot 3 or 4 arrows in a nice little group and then the next couple of arrows will go careening off for no seemingly discernable reason. At that point, I have to go back to shooting at 10 yards and concentrate on my form in order to regain my composure.

I had another interesting experience today. I had been shooting a set of old fiberglass arrows for the last couple of months. Last week I went camping and lost or broke the last of these arrows stump shooting. Today I went to the local range with a set of cedar arrows and I promptly began spraying them all over the place. I shot so poorly that it was embarrassing. This was after the previous week where I was regularly putting arrows where I was looking at up to 40 yards. I’m sure that my form was partially to blame, but I’ve got to believe there was something about those arrows that just didn’t agree with me. At any rate, it just goes to show that I’ve got a lot to learn before I draw on a live animal. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Arrow grouping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.