Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve Draw Length

Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Recurve Draw Length

A quick question : Got to shoot my recurve this weekend ( what a blast ) and noticed the draw length was a tad short. Its 58 inches and 40lbs@28". My draw on a compound is 30". Does the length of the recurve determine the draw length ? It was so fun to shoot I'll be buying one ( new ) in the near future. Can you guys recommend a good hunting recurve ? I'm hooked ....I started out shooting the compound to practice and havent been able to put the recurve down. Just a whole different feeling ...cant really explain it.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Recurve Draw Length

I'm new at this but I'm going to give it a try. You older guys correct me if I'm wrong. Most recurves are rated @ 28", and, your draw length on a recurve will be shorter than on a wheelie bow. I shoot 29" on a compound, and about 27" with a recurve. I hear good reviews on the Chek-Mate bows, but I haven't tried had the chance to try one.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Child is right. Your draw length will be an inch or 2 less than shooting your compound. My draw length is 30" with a compound, 29" with recurve. A longer bow will accomodate your longer draw length. I shoot a 62" bow with no "stacking". You might get away with a 60" bow if it has long recurves. I used to shoot a 60" Howatt with no stacking. Limb design makes a big difference. A bow with longer, sweeping recurves will not stack as quickly as one with short, abrupt ones.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A 58" bow is short to start with unless you have a really short draw--it just won't be as forgiving as a longer bow.

What draw length a bow will handle depends on it's design as much as it's length. I've shot 56" recurves that didn't stack at 30", and I've shot 62" recurves that stacked just past 28".

With your draw length, I'd start out with a 62" or longer. You will probably sacrifice some speed, but it will be easier to shoot.

There are gobs of great bows on the market--look around, ask questions on this one or that one, get out to some shoots and try out different ones. Nobody can pick that perfect bow for you--you have to do it yourself.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Chad.

Will a 62" Hunter II handle a 30" draw length?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The 62" will handle a 30" draw no problem--it can handle up to 32", maybe more. I've special ordered 64" and 66" versions for super long draws.

The 60" can be made to handle a 30" draw also. It's a trade-off--the 60" will be a little faster, the 62" a little more forgiving. For hunting I'd go with the 60", for targets the 62".

Chad