Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

[Deleted]

Old 08-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hay, I don't see no spot!!

Anymore, almost all of my shooting is stump shooting and small game hunting, because of circumstances of where we live and the distance to a range. I actually never shoot at stumps. I treasure my arrows too much, lol. I do however pic on ground squirrels (year round season), clumps of grass, pieces of paper and anything else that I can focus my shot on. I carry a trash bag along and after shooting at an item I pick up the trash and bag it to take it home. I think the main purpose for me to go stumpin is to learn to focus and keep that focus through the shot, because if I stand in front of a target and shoot arrow after arrow, I lose my focus real fast. Anyway, the area I go into has lots of scotts or french broom, can't remember which and I use judo points so that when the arrow hits the plant, it doesn't pass through. I'll pick a clump of flowers or leaves on the large weeds and pretend that's the heart of a great critter. I also think that having a target to shoot at, even if it's only one arrow at a time (my preference), is better than not having one. When we could shoot around here, it allowed me to keep my form solid or work on my form when I knew I was doing something wrong. It also kept my muscles limber and strong so that I can pull and hold the 54# bow with little effort.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:10 PM

Hey, I have a great way to see a spot where you are aiming at. Get a flash picture taken of yourself and then start shooting.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:06 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I don't look for a hair out of place of a family of mosquitos having a picnic. Once I decide that THAT'S the deer that wants to wear my tag my eyes go up the off-side leg, half-way up the body, and that's where I focus. Unless the deer's broadside or slightly quartering towards (and I mean SLIGHTLY), then I go up the near-side leg.

I can't actually remember ever picking a tiny spot on a deer, but my eyes do lock on the exact place that I want my arrow to go.

JRW
Old 09-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

Squeeze your eyes closed real tight for about 10 seconds. You'll have all kinds of spots to choose from!

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy
Old 09-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-18-2002, 09:21 PM

Nah,

That rock stuff will kill a guy. Besides, it's too hard to clime into your stand with a big old rock.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:31 PM

I think I may have found the perfect target practice today when I was reading the fishing regs.It is legal to hunt frogs with a longbow here and I happen to have a great froging spot just a few miles from the house.Now to talk my buddy into holding the light seeing how his wheel bow wont be night hunting friendly

GOOD SHOOTIN
Old 09-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 09:48 PM

Shrewshooter and Troy,

I'm origionally from Ohio also. What a great place to grow up. Must be the birthplace of computer literate traditional shooters. HA HA