Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

[Deleted]

Old 08-16-2002, 08:20 PM

Default RE: What's good shooting for you?

John, the Clout Round was six ends of six arrows each, shot from 180yrds at a 30ft circle on the ground with a 1ft flag in the center. There are 5 concentric scoring rings, each one yard wide, scored 5,4,3,2,1, from the center. The winning score in the Longbow Class was 99 which is a little down from past years. The biggest problem isn't calculating distance, but rather playing the wind. At that distance most longbows in the 50-55lb class were aiming at about 39 degrees high and for the first four ends we were fighting a violent quartering headwind which required aiming about 15 degrees off target. The last two ends the wind died down and it was relatively easy to lob them in. I watched Rick Stonebraker from Texas in the Olympic Recurve Class break the flagpost with one shot and then hit the stub of the flagpost with his next shot. Truly amazing shooting.

Jack

Edited by - Floxter on 08/16/2002 21:25:50
Old 08-17-2002, 02:21 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Kevin,

Good to see you here. Sound like you're having fun with that Assen...AHsen..."something-heimer".

Are you planning on hunting with it this year?

JRW
Old 08-19-2002, 07:18 AM

Jason, I hope to hunt with it some. I think I can limit myself to shorter yardages and I should be OK. Still dealing with frustration every now and then..... I need you down here to show me what I'm doing wrong!!!! Trying to deal with shoulder problems since I've been shooting almost every night. Still don't have my consistancy down yet. One night I can shoot great groups at 30 yards, then the next night I can't group within 8" at 20 yards. Still looking for that glove/tab that feels right. Tried a few tabs, and haven't had real good luck. The only glove I have is too big (no more mail order gloves for me!!!),but I shoot the best with it. Been dealing with a lot of inconsistency the last week or so, so I've been shooting the compound a little. If nothing else, shooting the recurve has made me better with the compound for some reason. Maybe just built up more strength. Shooting 2-3" groups out to 40 yards with the wheels. At least I know I can shoot with that, so I can focus on shooting the recurve the next six weeks before season.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kevin,

You're probably shooting too much. Try shooting every other night and give your muscles (and shoulder) some rest between shooting sessions. Also, I have found, thanks to Shrewshooter, the best glove I've ever owned. And I bought it e-mail to boot. I faxed a copy of a trace of my shooting hand, and they made a glove to fit it.

I mailed the order on Monday, the shipped it on Tuesday and I received it on Friday. It is a phenomenal glove. Look at Shrewshooters thread on "Speaking of Gloves" or something like that!

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy
Old 08-19-2002, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Kevin,

You're probably shooting too much. Try shooting every other night and give your muscles (and shoulder) some rest between shooting sessions. Also, I have found, thanks to Shrewshooter, the best glove I've ever owned. And I bought it e-mail to boot. I faxed a copy of a trace of my shooting hand, and they made a glove to fit it.

I mailed the order on Monday, the shipped it on Tuesday and I received it on Friday. It is a phenomenal glove. Look at Shrewshooters thread on &quot;Speaking of Shooting Gloves...&quot;!

Bill

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Old 08-19-2002, 10:55 AM

I'm new to shooting the recurve. I have learned several things from here that helped me. I quit shooting every day for one thing. I can usually hit within a 5&quot; circle at 20 yards if I am shooting in my back yard. I shot a 3-D tournament this weekend, and it was entirely different. I missed the whole target about 5 times out of 20. I don't know if the limbs&trees in the way and the bad footing mattered that much or not. The shots were up and down hill too. Anyway, I didn't shoot all that great. It was great practice and lots of fun though.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:16 AM

Muddler,
The thing to get straight is that you can learn to shoot. What I mean by that is that you don't have to assume that shooting a trad bow is some special gift to a select few. Now I think that some are especially gifted but you or anyone else can learn to shoot. I found the book Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell (available at amazon.com) to be a trememdous book to teach you how to shoot instinctively. Honestly, you learn fast with his book. I believe that I can pick any bow up (left handed for me) and after a few arrows start hitting the kill zone at 20 yds. I learned this. It is not a special gift. Get Kidwell's book; it's worth every penny.

Old 08-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2002, 01:54 PM

Missedagain,

A most interesting thing happened to me while I was practicing yesterday evening. I was out about 30 yards from the target (I know - way too far for a beginner like me, but that’s a whole other story). I shot 3 arrows and they all grouped to the left and down from the center about 18”. I stopped for a long time and contemplated my previous shoots; I’d never seen so many of my arrows group like that before – particularly at that range. Then I got the idea that I would try to consciously compensate by aiming my bowhand slightly to the right and up and see what happens. I nocked my last arrow, drew slow and easy, pushed my bowhand at the target (like Fred Asbell says in his book) while compensating slightly, and released. The arrow flew true to the target and struck the bullseye dead one! I can still see the graceful arch of the spinning fluorescent red fletching as it flew to the target and then the unbelievable sight of the arrow dead center in the target. After that shot, I packed everything up and went home – I didn’t want to spoil the moment.

I’m sure that it will be a long time before I do anything like that again, but I felt it. I finally experienced what it feels like to consciously (and instinctively) direct an arrow to a spot and have it actually go there. I know now that I can do this. It will take time and lots of practice to do it consistently, but I can do it. Gentlemen, I’m hooked and thank you!
Old 09-04-2002, 03:51 PM

Im new to traditional archery, but man I LOVE it!!! Im 12 and i got a #35 lb longbow(Windstorm)and feel good when i put 5 arrows in the lung area on my 3D target, I too love stump shooting!

P.S-I took my longbow and compound out the other day, and shot better with the longbow at 20 yards!!!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.