Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

B50.... So Comfy

Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default B50.... So Comfy

For some months now, I've been afraid I'd have to give up shooting stickbows. Every time I released, my bow shoulder would get a stab of pain and my fingers felt like somebody swatted 'em with a stick. I've developed a rip-roaring case of short draw/snap shooting target panic because of it. But I never thought it could be anything but me getting worn out until last night...

A friend let me shoot an old Wing Presentation II. I'd pumped out half a dozen arrows before it dawned on me - NO PAIN!!??? Draw weight wasn't much less than I have been shooting. It drew smooth as silk, but not THAT much better. What was different? STRING MATERIAL! The Wing was wearing a B50 string. I've been using fastflight and 450+ for quite a spell.

So, I sat down and twisted up a flemish B50 string for my recurve. I'm back in business! 50 shots later, no shoulder twinges. Fingers don't hurt. I've got maybe a shade more vibration in the handle and slightly slower arrows. But I can darn sure live with it, just as long as it keeps me shooting.

I know all about the effects different string materials have on the bow and arrow. Never figured string material would make such a difference for the worn out joints on the ol' cuss shooting the bow.[&:]

By the way, the Wing came home with me. Nice old bow. Kinda old and beat up, just like me.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: B50.... So Comfy

I'm not understanding where the relief came from? Handshock can get my elbow flared up, but the low-stretch materials generally reduce that.

Great you got some relief either way!

Chad
Old 10-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: B50.... So Comfy

I don't claim to understand it either, Chad. But I ain't about to question it.