Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows for trad. bows.

Old 10-10-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Arrows for trad. bows.

Hey there.

I have 2 martin bows, Dreamcatcher 50# @28 and the stick 45# @28. I just got back into hunting and was looking for some info.

The arrows i have for these bows are, easton camohunter superlites, at 2314.

As i checked into arrows lately they seem very over spined. Anyreason you guys can think of that the archery shop recommended this type? I cant remeber and and it is driving me crazy.

I am currently getting some carbon arrows, but still cant figure out the 2314 and why?

Any comments are welcome. my new plan is carbons at 10 gpi with 100 grain magnus heads.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrows for trad. bows.

because they were either going by the easton charts or they were just plum clueless LOL.

I dont get to wrapped up in the 10 gpp theory. Heavy is good, but at 45lbs, thats not much at all. I've done very well with my outfits at 8-9gpp.

I'd be more worried about getting a set of shafts that flew as perfect as possible out of EACH bow, that said I highly doubt you could find one set of arrows that will do it!

Reason being is a recurve to a longbow, and a center shot bow to a non centershot bow. You'll probably need a lighter spine by far in that longbow then anything you'd shoot out of the recurve. UNLESS you build out the side plate on the recurve, that is the only way I could see it happening.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It would seem the guys at the shop either don't know what they are talking about, or had some 2314's they were needing to move, or both. The same arrow is not going to fly well off both bows. I'm guessing the Stick would have to be about 15# heavier in draw weight to shoot the same arrow as the Dreamcatcher. If you have a really long draw and are shooting heavy points, they might work from the DC, but I can't seen them working for the Stick with any reasonable setup.

Grains per inch doesn't mean much at all, other than telling you what your arrow shaft weighs at a certain length. You are looking for grains per pound--for example, if you are pulling 50# on the DC you need an arrow that weighs 500 grains (total--point and all) for an arrow that is 10 grains per lb.

Chad
Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 PM

Thanx for the info guys.

I was wondering the gpp, thanx for the explanation LBR.

I did alot of shooting today with both bows. The 2314 flew great out of my Dreamcatcher. Out to 30 yards, thats as far as i went. Could i assume i should go with the 2314 for the Dreamcatcher? ( oh yeah the 2314 are 30 inches)

On the Stick, they flew wobbly , slow and left of the target.

So, i have my new carbons being feathered, they are Readhead fury 4560 10 gpi , cut to 28 and half. I am counting on these working for my Stick.
What you guys think? (100 grain heads for all.)

All replies welcome and appreciated.

thanks guys
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM

Try 2016s for the 45#, and 2018s for the 50#. Plenty of weight to shoot thru deer (and the 2018 will go in one side of an elk, and out the other).
Old 10-15-2004, 06:56 PM

Hey, thanks for reply.

I was looking into 2018, for my 50#, But the more i shoot the 2314 they fly great, . So i was thinking of staying with them, its all about arrow flight right?

And for the 45# i have some carbons, so im actually looking to tune the carbons now.

Any suggestions on the 2314 flying good, i should stay with them right???
Old 10-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

You really should give the 2018's a try. Compare how they fly with the 2314s. I think you'll be pleasantly suprized. Benefits: the smaller diameter brings the centerline of the shaft closer to the bow's plane of force which makes for an easier tune, and most studies show the smaller diameter will help penetration on game.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:26 PM

Great points, Art.
I am gonna try my new carbons on the dreamcatcher and if they dont work, i will test out 2018 .

Thanks so much for the replies
Old 10-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Hey guys!

Well i got the carbons. and have a few problems.

I have 2 martin bows, Dreamcatcher 50# @28 and the stick 45# @28

the carbons are 28 and half, 100 grain head and 5 inch feathers., my best estimate is the arrow weighs 480 grains.

They shoot perfect out of my dreamcatcher #50 , But out of my Stick, 45#, they shoot left. Does the shooting left have to do with the longbow itself or must i change head weight, or something else?

Any help is welcome
Old 10-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Stick's sight window isn't cut as close to center as the Dreamcatcher's. That means the arrow is pointing further left with the Stick, so it needs a significantly lighter spined arrow to come around the bow and shoot where you're looking. You might be able to change spine enough for those arrows to work with the Stick by switching to 125 gn heads. I don't know.

Sometimes I wish I had points made from depleted uranium so they'd be heavy enough to loosen up an arrow's spine.[:-]

Quick Reply: Arrows for trad. bows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.