Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Heaviest riser wood?

Old 09-25-2004, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Heaviest riser wood?

Sagittarius - too bad Pat Lefemine owns it huh ?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Sure is, Stealthy.
Now that he's using a compound, he may sell it.
Or, you can buy one like it for $2,000.00
I was thinking about Dale Dye building me another bow of Snakewood or having Jeff Massie make one for me.
Haven't made up my mind yet.
I like the Blacktail but, to me, Dale's take down system is superior and Jeff's is superior to Dale's.
The take down system on a bow is a very big deal to me!!!

Sag.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

$2,000?????? For a bow???????? That's crazy!!![8D]

Chad
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Gee, Chad, it's only money.
What are you gonna do with yours ?
Have your coffin lined with it when you're gone ? LOL
I usually go up to $1,000.00 or a bit more on a recurve but haven't went $2,000.00 yet.
Actually, my most expensive bow to date is my custom Bowman compound at $1,200.00

Sag.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Gee, Chad, it's only money.
What are you gonna do with yours ?
Let's see.....pay bills, buy food, buy my hunting license.....basic stuff.

I can understand if you got it spending it on what you want. I can't see a bow costing that much unless it just has some outrageously expensive materials and work done to it. I did a little looking at snakewood, and it is expensive, but as best I could tell it wasn't that expensive. I like Bob, but that is just out of reason to me. On the other hand, if you have some goober that is willing to pay, I guess he might as well take advantage of it.

In my opinion, there are no $1,000 bows, at least not hunting bows. By that I mean there is not one made that requires that much time, effort, or material to make it work better. If you want to pay that for looks, or just to have something that most others don't, more power to you. I can't see paying 50 grand for a truck either. Crap, the last house I bought (I've bought 3 so far) didn't cost 50 grand. It was 3 bedroom, two bath, brick, full carport, separate utility room, big kitchen, dining room, living room, with a shed out back and 2 acres of land. I know I couldn't buy it now for that, but it wasn't that many years ago (I'm only 35).

Outrageous prices are a peeve to me--but I'm po' folk.

Chad
Old 09-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Just messing with you, Chad.
Because, I know from way back, you don't like paying big bucks for a bow.
I'd rather not either but I'm a sucker for fancy and pretty bows.

Sag.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Shoot, I don't like paying big bucks for anything! [:'(] I do take my archery equipment seriously though, and if I honestly thought the very best bow for me was one that cost $1,000 or more, I'd have one. I've shot a lot of them though, and haven't seen it. I've never been one that bought anything for the label--when I buy jeans, I buy the ones that fit and don't wear out quick, regardless of the brand. I've found that with most commercial goods, you pay a lot more for the label than anything else, and if you shop around you can find as good or better with a better price (minus the label).

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to have an arsenal of lookers like you have Sag, but that's all the use I'd get from them. I'm hard on my equipment (heard of the guy that can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer? I can do it with a feather), and I couldn't stand the thoughts of taking one of those beauties in the woods the way I treat them. Maybe when I get rich and famous I'll build a bow room just for showpieces--might even buy one or two .

Chad