Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Won a recurve

Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Won a recurve

Hello folks. I have been a compound and crossbow shooter for 2 years now. My local bow shop had it's 20th anniversary and I won a custom made Checkmate Recurve. It is a one of a kind bow made special for the anniversary. The bow is their Longhorn model but the inlays are custom and are layed over a beatiful birds eye maple. I was considering selling it but was looking for some thoughts from some traditional shooters about shooting a recurve before I do anything.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Won a recurve

I'm guessing you've got some amount of cash tied up in your compound and crossbow gear. You wouldn't want that all to be money wasted would you?

If you shoot that recurve, before you know it you'll want to hunt with it, and then you won't even pick up the other stuff anymore, such a waste.

I would do you the favor of taking it off your hands to prevent you from wasting all that cash. The money that you won't be wasting, and therefore are saving, would be more than adequate compensation.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:23 PM

Hehe. You and a big line up of guys. I do have a fair amount of $$ in my other equipment. Infact I still need more. That was one of the main reasons I considered selling the bow. I find it tough enough to get deer with the modern stuff. Maybe if I gave it some time I wuld learn to appreciate the bow. Problem is, where do I find the time for yet another activity?
Old 09-11-2004, 07:17 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Actually the Longhorn is their radical reflex/deflex/reflex flatbow (kind of in-between a longbow and recurve). Dang good shooter-smooth and quick, although a little less forgiving due to the reflexed riser. Chek-Mates generally cost a lot less than other bows of comparable quality, but that one is not what I'd call "cheap". That maple veneer is beautiful.

What information are you looking for? I can help if you want. My e-mail is [email protected] if you have questions you rather ask privately.

One thing about trad bows--if you will take the time to learn to shoot them, you will be spoiled. No gadgets or gizmos to worry with, and it won't be outdated when next year's model comes out.

Chad
Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 AM

LBR. I was just looking to see how effective this bow might be. I have shot around 20 arrows through it and was shocked at how fast it shot them. I was also amazed that there was almost no handshock at all. I have hunted with a crossbow and compound and had good success. I was wondering how effective this bow would be on deer. What would be a range limitation of the bow (the factor in my own personal obne)? 15 yards once I get comfy with the bow? Most of my friends are shooting wheels so they all said sell it. I do need some pretty expensive items and the cash would be nice but I am not sure what I would be missing out on if I sold it. Here is a link to some pictures I took of the bow.[link]http://www.geocities.com/hornets418/index.html?1095002171296[/link]
Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Beautiful bow, and a rare one too! That maple veneer is exclusive to one dealer, and I only know of Marc doing a few of the striped limbs in the past several years.

That bow will kill any deer in North America--you will need a hunting weight arrow, a sharp broadhead (preferably 2-blade), and an arrow that flies perfectly--but as long as you put it in the right place, it will do the job. I know a lady who killed a record book gemsbok (about the size of an elk) with a Chek-Mate Crusader. She was pulling 47@26. The arrow did not pass through, but the broadhead got complete penetration. E-mail me if you would like to see a picture.

I feel like you would be missing out on a world of fun if you sell it. That bow will never be outdated, and you will never have to worry about putting gadgets on it. One thing you have to ask yourself--do you bowhunt just to extend your hunting season, or you you love to shoot a bow and enjoy the challenge. If it's the latter, that bow will bring it to a whole new level for you.

The distance will be limited by your accuracy--it will kill as far as you can shoot it. I wouldn't take long shots with it on really big game, but any whitetail is toast if you do your part. If you will take the time to become and stay proficient with it, you will amaze yourself.

If you have any questions about it, just let me know. I'm pretty familiar with Chek-Mate .

Chad
Old 09-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I can settle this little debate right now Desertrat ,
divorce yourself of that foul thing , do not even seek to profit from it . Send it to someone whom you wish to torment for a lifetime .

I will selflessly volunteer to be that person , PM for my address , I'll pay for the shipping ...
Old 09-12-2004, 01:47 PM

HEHE Thanks for the offer Kevin. Mighty brave and noble.

I think LBR is right that i will be missing out on a world of fun if I let it go. I started shooting a bow with wheels (hangs head in shame hehe) 2 years ago. I was a rifle hunter when I flew as a bush pilot in Northern Ontario but when I moved to Southern Ontario that option did not exist. I can honestly say that I would rather hunt with a bow vs a gun. I have seen so much that sitting in a treestand/groundblind that I tended to miss when I was rifle hunting. Last year was my 1st year hunting and I was fortunate enough to take 2 deer. This year I am going on my 1st moosehunt with a bow. I guess I need to get out and shoot this bow and maybe pick up some tips from the local traditional shooters. What would you guys suggest for arrows? cedar? carbon? How many grains should I be looking for? I do have a 28inch draw so I know the weight is 46lbs.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I'd start with aluminum--easy to get, easy to replace, and a wide range of spines and weights. I'd try for an arrow weight (finished) of 368-460 grains or more. Heavier arrows will drop a little quicker, but they are quieter, easier on your bow, and aid in penetration.

I don't have enough experience with moose to say if I'd be comfortable hunting them with 46# (hunted them once, no luck). I've heard of it being done consistently with 50# recurves, and saw where a fellow in Australia killed a huge camel with a mid 40's longbow, so I do think it could be done. I'd opt for a close shot, with heavy arrows they fly perfectly. Don't think I'd try it this year though--you need time to get comfortable and accurate before hunting with it.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 09-13-2004, 07:31 AM

I think I will use my compound for moose. From talking to the gang I am going up with, you have to able to make some longer shots. I have a v ery conservative limit set for myself but it is longer than I would expect to try a shot witha recurve. Once a nail one or too, I might be willing to give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers