Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

carbon arrows

Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 PM

Default carbon arrows

are carbon arrows shot from traditional bows very often? I have not heard much about this, but I have a half-dozen carbon arrows, and a recurve bow, just wondering if they would be efficient when shot together.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: carbon arrows

they probably could but it seems to defeat the purpose...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 AM

You could shoot any type of arrow from a traditional bow. The whole concept of traditional archery is to get back to the roots of archery and use equipment and arrows of a former time and technology. It just seems to question the whole intent of traditional archery to use anything other than a good cedar shaft. The same can be said of using mechanical broadheads, etc.

Just my humble opinion.

Bill
Old 08-26-2004, 08:51 AM

Kentuckybuck, Yes they are, there are a number of people out there shooting carbons out of trad bows, I do some out of my longbows when I am not shooting wood.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dunno... We had aluminum arrows a good 25 years before we got linear fiberglass laminates for our limbs. If a fiberglass laminated bow is traditional, then aluminum arrows MUST be traditional also since they came before.

Some guys say 'traditional' is the same as saying 'pre-compound.' We had fiberglass arrows in the early 60's, before the compound was invented. The manufacturing process for carbon arrows isn't much different from those old fiberglass shafts so, really and truly, I don't see how carbon arrows can be un-traditional.

The only kick I've got about carbon arrows on traditional bows is their weight. Without adding weight to them, they leave too much energy in the bow. I don't care whether it's my recurve or my longbow, they are uncomfortable to shoot with carbons that weigh 6-7 grains per pound. On the other hand, adding weight to the carbons to get them up around 9-11 grains per pound, the bows settle right down and shoot great.

They have some great benefits as well. They work over a wide spine range, so you don't have to go through all the frustration of finding that one exact perfect size to fit your bow. Their small diameter has the effect of making any bow act more centershot. When properly weighted, I feel the small diameter helps with penetration on game.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the re-enactment aspect of traditional archery as well as anyone. I LIKE wandering around the woods with a dozen good cedar arrows in my quiver, using a bow I've whittled out of a stave. Since that's how I started out, many years ago, it makes me feel like a kid again. However, I'm also a pragmatist. I cannot ignore the practicality of carbon arrows. IMO, they've got a LONG way to go before they ever get close to matching aluminum arrows for accuracy and consistency, but they've got enough going for them for me to keep some in my arrow box.

I've come to like Carbon Express Terminator Selects. They're a fiberglass/carbon composite arrow that weighs about the same as a 2315 without adding additional weight to the shaft. I've had better results with them than I've had with ANY all-carbon arrow. If only I had a good, local source for them.[&o]
Old 08-29-2004, 11:19 PM

Have to say that I have pretty much switched to carbons on my recurves and longbows. The spine on a carbon seems a lot less critical and, with the cost going down on carbons, there's cost savings by not using them.. I also like the fact that carbons don't bend.. They're either straight or broken..When I shool IBO with the longbow, of course you have to go back to wood.. rules of IBO. As far as tradition goes, my recurves and longbows are all made of modern materials so why not use carbons.. I see no problem with this...
Calabash
Old 08-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also like the fact that carbons don't bend.. They're either straight or broken..
I HATE that cliche. Mainly because it's false. Maybe carbons don't bend like aluminums do, but they do wear out, lose their memory and warp. Some quicker than others. Not a single carbon arrow in my extensive collection is straighter than my worst cedar arrow.

Along with losing their straightness, they also break down with use and lose their spine. Again, some quicker than others. You see it much quicker if you select arrows that are right on the upper end of their spine range. That's why I always recommend bumping up to the next size if you wind up right on the top end of a shaft's spine range. With carbon, it's far better to be on the exteme low end of the spine range rather than the extreme top end. That is, if you want to use those arrows longer than a few weeks.

Besides, going to the stiffer arrows means you can add much more tip weight. Brings the arrow weight up to reduce your bow's noise and shock, and balances the spine range to your bow.