Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Tiller stickbow

Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Tiller stickbow

Has anyone ever sanded a limb to tiller the bow for a specific grip? I sanded my top limb to make it weaker so i could use a strong low wrist grip. Haven't shot it but it will be interesting to see if it works. I talked to Black Widow and they about had a cow about this idea. Has anyone tried this?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tiller stickbow

I've sanded off a few pounds of draw weight, but never enough to significantly change the tiller.

It's real important to make the glass removal even throughout the working portion of the limb. I always use a sanding block and do the sanding by hand. You don't want to get on there with an orbital sander and go nuts.

I don't know it for fact, but I've heard tell you should never remove more than 1/3rd the thickness of the glass when you're sanding. Since BW doesn't use very thick glass anyway, I can understand why they pitched a fit when you told them about your project.

With your unorthodox grip style (which we've discussed before), I'd say you'd be better off to have a set of limbs custom made to accomodate you, rather than try to modify standard set.