Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Looking for a good Longbow

Old 04-20-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Looking for a good Longbow

I am really getting into the tradtional style of archery. It has been an interest for a long time.

There are so many good bows on the market that I have no idea what I want! This is what I have noticed that I like the looks of recently. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. If you have experience with them please fill me in & if you don't thats ok just tell me a good bow that you like and I will be sure to check them out as well!

Great Plains - Great Plainsman -- coco bolo riser with cedar and red elm core limbs
Tomahawk Thunderstorm

I also want a good recurve and any advise is appreciated. I do not want a Martin or Bear...no offense to people who like them!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a good Longbow

There are so many good'uns out there... No way to just recommend one or two. There are so many good bowyers that the marketplace doesn't have room for 'bad' bows.

I've had a couple Saxon Mongooses (Mongoosies? Mongeese?[:-]) and they were very nice bows. A friend shoots a Great Plains Plainsman and it's a fine one. The Massie Longhorn is a killer! Chek-Mate Crusader. Robertson Mystical. Howard Hill Wesley Special. I've owned or shot all of those and more. Now the only longbow I've got is the one I made in the garage.

Recurves: Gotta at least snoop around the Chek-Mates at www.recurves.com

Bob Lee, Brackenbury, Great Plains (again), Palmer, gotta mention Black Widow. Again, if they're not top notch, the competition wipes them off the market in short order.

Find something you're interested in, price wise and such, then ask about a specific bow. I'm sure you'll get better info that way.

I repeat, the Great Plains Plainsman is a fine bow. I'd like to steal that one my friend's got.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:35 PM

Buy a copy of Traditional Bowhunters mag. Note the numerous advertisements for trad bows. Go to several shoots in your area and ask folks to shoot their bow. I have NEVER seen a man refused cause the majority of folks like their bow and want you to like it as well. Try before you buy.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 04-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Orion.I have a GP Plainsman T/D with the cocobolo riser and red cedar limbs and this is a real nice shooting bow!Great grip,decent speed and no thump.If you decide on the Plainsman,I'm sure you'll be happy with it but you should shoot and handle as many differant bows just to get a feel for what's right for you.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:16 AM

Orion,
If you are patient and enjoy working with your hands, I would suggest building your own bow. I recently completed my first attempt at a longbow and it came out GREAT. It was fairly simple and straight foward. Although I had the help of someone who was experienced at bow building, I know I could have done it alone, it Just would have taken a little longer. If you're interested they're are several companies that sell bow kits, I used Bingham Projects but like I said you have several companies/styles to choose from.Anyway its just another option, have fun.