Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Brace Height Measurement ??????

Old 04-05-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Brace Height Measurement ??????

Where is the proper location to measure the brace height from-the center of the riser, or the rear edge of the riser? What's the concensus on this one guys, what do you do? I know it really doesn't matter if you're just checking your BH as long as you use a consistent point of reference every time you check it.

I am kinda cross referencing my BH versus the manufacturers just for general curiosity as I am an inch and half to two inches low compared to manufacturers recommendations but I am getting awesome arrow flight and great accuracy. Just wondering if I am measuring wrong[&:]?

Thanks guys
Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brace Height Measurement ??????

I measure it from the rear of the riser. If you are getting good flight and accuracy, there is absolutely nothing wrong. Mine is lower than the recommended distance as well. But if I don't get a smooth release, I get some wobble. I think they list higher brace heights than is necessary. It probably overcomes some of the "klutz" factor for getting good arrow flight.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:48 AM

The standard is from the deepest part of the throat of the grip to the string. If you measure from the back of the riser,your measurement will be off by the difference between the back of the riser & the throat of the grip.

Darrel
Old 04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a recurve and asked the bowyer what the brace was and he told me 6" from the back of the sight window.I set it like that then measured from the deep part of the grip 'cause that's how I like to measure it.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM

I beleive its from the deepest part of the grip to the string also.