Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

got a new CheckMate Thunderbird

Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default got a new CheckMate Thunderbird

The new bow arrived this morning, and unfortunately I won't have time to set it up and "test drive" it for a day or two, but it looks good! Shedua riser & walnut limbs.
Can't wait to sling a few arrows with it!
Thanks Chad!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:46 PM

Default RE: got a new CheckMate Thunderbird

Congrats on that Thunderbird, I have shot the Firebird and these chek-mates are well built bows and are sweet shooters...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:03 PM

Wow! the wait is over! Don't forget to let us know what ya think, and NO subjectivity allowed! hehe...
Old 03-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still haven't had time to really shoot it, but I did string it and install a nocking point. I have an indoor target with 40 ft max range, and it seemed to shoot OK at my standard nock setting. I braced it at 7 1/2" to allow for some string stretch. My first arrows were slightly left, but they may be a little overspined for the new bow. After 3 shots I was right on target. Shot a couple more and quit while I was hitting the bullseye. I hope to get out and do some real testing this weekend, some "stump shooting".
I am impressed with the looks of the shedua/walnut combo. Wasn't too sure how dark limbs with a lighter riser would look, but I like it! I also haven't installed any string silencers yet, but was amazed as to how quiet it seems without them. I'll add a set, but I'm not sure it even needs them.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:49 PM

Congrats on the new bow wabi sounds like a sweet shooter
Old 03-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a couple of pics. Here's a belly view of the grip:
Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple more views as requested. And a brief description of it's shooting qualities:
The Thunderbird is a very smooth shooting bow. Very little if any handshock. A little noise without string silencers, but that's minimal and silencers should take care of it. Good arrow speed. Tolerant of spine variations over a 10 - 15# range (my bow is 54# at 28" which is my draw length and I've shot arrows from 50/55 to 60/65 spine in it with decent flight from all. Groups change a little of course but flight stays good.
All things considered I'd rate at as in a dead tie for the best shooting longbow I've personally shot, the other being a 3-Rivers tomahawk SS, but the Thunderbird is close to 1/2 the price of the Tomahawk SS, so let's give it #1 spot!

Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Glad you like it Mike. Have you shot a Crusader yet? I do like the Thunderbird, but............

Chad
Old 04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,
Hate to say it, but the shoulder has been acting up again and I haven't been able to shoot much lately. I can shoot a couple of times to get acclimated to the pain, then shoot a couple of groups before things start to fall apart concentration wise. When I go through these spells I find it best just to hang the bow up for a few days before all confidance is lost. Even if I'm not getting to shoot the new bow as much as I'd like, it sure looks good hanging behind my desk, but not what I really intended for it.
wabi
Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Wabi, that is a nice looking bow. What is the length?

=keith=

Quick Reply: got a new CheckMate Thunderbird

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.