Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

One Awsome Bow!!

Old 03-06-2004, 08:24 PM

Default One Awsome Bow!!

Just received the Chek-Mate Firebird in the mail today. I just have to say that I am really impressed as to how this recurve shoots and the quality of how well this bow looks and the workmanship of detail, the power of the limbs, I can just go on and on, but, ya, Impressive!! Just a well built bow and I only paid under half of what I would of paid for a brand new one, I practically stole this one off e-bay, well me and my brother... Now we'll have to see how we are going to settle this matter, we are both left handed, I think I just wont' let him shoot it. I know this bow is a little short, but I will say it performs excellent, and will work out perfectly in the woods for hunting...Any other opinions out there on the Chek-mates--pros or cons...Funny thing is I did'nt know anything about Chek-mate bows till I started reading this forum. So I say, I tip my hat to all of you, who have mentioned this bow on here, for me to find such a great bow, Thanks...

RobinHood36} >>>----->>>------------>
Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 PM

Default RE: One Awsome Bow!!

I don't have a Firebird, but have heard many good things about them. Chek-Mate has been around a long time, but most "trad" archers are so caught up in the high end "custom" bows, they literally ignore them... too bad for them. Some may call the Firebird a BW knock-off, but who cares... the price definitely would NOT qualify under that term.

I think too many custom bows today are judged soley on their price (must be the best) & their exotic wood laminations, but unfortunately NOT their performance. I believe that a bow made from actionwood (riser & limbs) can be just as good a performer, even better than, the fancy-dancy ones. Guess it depends on whom one is trying to impress. Myself, I've never seen a deer that was impressed with the beauty of any of my bows. Sure are perty though...
Old 03-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good !
Can you send a picture or a weg adress ?
I like to see more about this........
Old 03-07-2004, 04:53 AM

Try this link: www.recurves.com
Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 AM

I shot all the checkmate recurves in a local shop (one time it pays to be going into a Canadian archery shop) The firebird was the only one that had real zip. They are all nice, don't misunderstand me, but the firebird was the speed machine, and quite compact of course. I would have bought it, but for the fact that they only had a lefthander, and also the crusader longbow is just outstanding. I didn't buy the Crusader either, it was a bit expensive for me, but it was enough of a distraction for me not to really know what the heck I wanted.

Odly neither of the local shops that stock a large number of Crusaders, stock the Firebird any more. Locals just seem to prefer the Hunter series.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just recently got a Chek-Mate Kings Pawn. It's not the fastest recurve I've ever shot but it is definitely a shooter. I'm VERY pleased with it.