Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

just starting traditional bowhunting what are some good bows

Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 PM

Default just starting traditional bowhunting what are some good bows

I'm starting traditional hunting and i need a good cheap bow with draw length of 24 inches and 50 pound wieght. I am already well into compound bows but want a challenge[:-]
Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 PM

Default RE: just starting traditional bowhunting what are some good bows

I'll be the first to congratulate you Primetime, I made the move 2 years ago and I have picked up 3 recurve bows on EBAY. Go to there web site and type in recurve and you will have about 400 items come up, scan thru till you find the one you want, and if you really want the bow, you may have to proxy bid (set a limit) on how high you want to bid. They have quite a selection of old to newer recurve bows, Good Luck on shooting a recurve as they are a fun and a challenge to shoot, I enjoy shooting both; and happy bidding if you decide to shop on EBAY.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

It may be tough to find a bow to meet those specs. If you want those exact specs you would probably need a custom bow which is of course not cheap. Ebay would be a great place to start. 60# @28" should give you about 50# give or take a few #s.

That being said, you might want to start with a lower draw weight, more like 40-45#. That may sound a little low, but it will give you a better starting point to work on proper form. As good as you may be with a compound, recurves and longbows are a whole new ball of wax IMHO.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will assume you've already drawn and shot a recurve that pulls 50 pounds at your draw length and you're comfy with it. If you haven't, then that's the first thing you need to do before buying a bow. Shoot several draw weights and find what feels best to you. It's critical to not get overbowed and, in fact, it's best to shoot a bow that's slightly under your strength. I've found it's also good to have a bow on hand that challenges your strength. Shooting a few arrows from it each week keeps your regular shootin' bow easy to handle.

Most factory recurves are rated at 28", and you should figure 2-3 pounds per inch above or below 28". So - you want a bow to draw 50 @ 24, then you need to be looking at bows in the 60 @ 28 range. I'd also suggest keeping the bow length under 60" for best performance at your rather short draw length. There are MANY vintage bows out there on Ebay that will meet your criteria. Look especially for Shakespeare Necedah or Sierra. Good bows and usually fairly inexpensive. Also look at Grizzly and Kodiak Magnum models from Bear. They're generally a bit more pricey because of the name.

Or, you can go to www.recurves.com and look at the Falcon and Atilla models by Chek-Mate. Get one made just like you want it for less than you can buy a Martin or Bear recurve off the rack, and not much more than you'd have to spend for a low end Korean import.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:26 AM

Hello and welcome to shear fun. I started just about 3 years ago. sold all my compounds and have never looked back.

I do agree, for a standard made bow at 28" draw 60 to 65 pound draw weight range is what you need. Just a suggetion is getting one custom made for you at your draw length. www.recurves.com is an excellent place to start along with all the others. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:10 PM

Hi all, just signed up today, nice site. Dan I have a bruin custom woodsmaster takedown that would fit you just right. It has two sets of limbs, 47# at 25", and 51# at 25". I prefer longbows. I have had this bow for 6 or 7 years or so, but have shot it very little, excellent shape. Email me and let me know. But anyway my name is Mike I live in the northeast of Pa., am 41 and have been bowhunting off and on for about 29 years or so. Love longbows, looking fer another this summer. Gotta go get ready for work, I'll check back in.