Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

64" or 62" recurve set at my draw-length?

Old 01-11-2004, 04:43 AM

Default 64" or 62" recurve set at my draw-length?

I am about ready to order my custom-made recurve. I have settled on all features (design/material), but have two lingering questions that I am struggling with.

1. Is it possible that I may be able to shoot a 62" recurve without facing a "stacking" issue if the bow is made to match my draw-length of 32"... or possibly 31"?

2. If a 62" set at my draw-length will not have a "stacking" factor, will I defeat what is gained if I increase the draw-weight of the bow from my usual 48# to 56#, which (56#) is what I get when I shoot my older recurves using Dacron strings.

Due to my draw-length of 32"....on recurves, the (past) draw-weight@28" restriction has been the reason I have always had to shoot 64" recurves to avoid "stacking.

I realize that what may be good for one, may not be for another. But, being there are no test bows available that I can shoot, I have to throw the question out and weigh the input.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 64" or 62" recurve set at my draw-length?

In answer to your first question: It is possible to shoot a 62" bow at 32" without stacking. But it depends on the design of the limbs. Chances are that you'll have to go to 64". That question is best asked to the maker.
And your second question: if you can comfortably shoot 56#, go for it.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

C-, you know, I really envy those short armed guys that can shoot those nifty looking little jewels that are 56-60" long. But then, I really envy those squatty body little farts that can fit behind the wheel of a Corvette too. On the other hand, I don't need a ladder to reach the stuff on the top shelf.

In theory you could get a 62" bow to draw stack free if it has a short riser section that's got a pronounced deflex in the throat of the grip, long length of working limb and a deeply hooked working recurve. Like Wingbone said though, this is something you MUST discuss with the bowyer. Every bowyer I've approached so far has said I need to go longer. After they've gotten over the shock of disbelief, that is. The Chek-Mate Kings Pawn I've got on order right now is 64", and that will make it the shortest custom recurve I've ever had. All the others have been 66-68".

If you can get a bow made that draws stack free to 32" (which you can, even though it might be longer than 62"), and if you're comfortable shooting 56 pounds, then order 56 pounds. 55 actually. Most bowyers will guarantee to hit weight within +/- 2 pounds and it's usually +. You'll see an amazing difference between shooting a real 56 pound draw vs a 48 pound draw that stacks to 56. The difference in smoothness of draw, definitely, but you'll see a very noticeable improvement in performance. Maybe even dramatic improvement.

Because of the stack, what you're shooting is a 56 pound bow that performs like a 48 pounder. The 8 pounds of stack does virtually NOTHING for you. Someone with a 29" draw can take your current bow and your arrows and shoot exactly the same speed as you do. That's what stack does for a long draw shooter.

Talk to the bowyers and see what they say. I'd bet you wind up with a 64" but you never know. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:18 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I draw as much as 32" on a high-wrist recurve, and you can get a 62" that doesn't stack. I used to think I couldn't shoot a longbow that was any less than 68", but I have since found a 64" that doesn't stack (I draw 30.5" on it)--I do prefer the 66" though, for some reason.

It can be a bugger finding the right bow--off the shelf is pretty much out of the question. A long draw ain't all it's cracked up to be (try finding really heavy spined wood arrows!). [X(]

Chad
Old 01-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

C903,

I agree with Arthur; if you get a 62" recurve with a short riser and long limbs it will work.
But if the bow you want has a long riser and short limbs, definitely order it in the 64" length at your long draw.
I have both 62" and 64" recurves and don't feel the extra 2" on the 64 is a handicap at all.

Sag.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:21 AM

All very good points. Went right to the core.

I do believe, due to the time it will take to construct my bow and the cost involved, now is not the time to fix something that is not broke. I have always shot very well with all my 64" recurves that I have owned. Why reinvent the wheel at this late date? 64" it is.