Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Cedar arrow sources

Old 12-23-2003, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Cedar arrow sources

Yes, I understand it doesn't matter how long the shaft is that is being spined and also the dynamics of spine...

But how in the world does one spine a 26" arrow without it falling off posts that are 26" apart. What length would the shortest shaft be when sitting on 26" centers? I suspect that length would be 28".

Are you saying then... that a 28" woodie spined at 26" centers with a 50# spine is actually a 42# spine at 28"? I don't think so... [] or I'm confused...

I believe 28" is the standard from where all calculations of spine dynamics originate, with the woodies that is.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:34 AM

Remember, a 26" shaft is measured from the back of the point to the throat of the nock, not from end to end.
No, a 50# shaft cut to 28" is still a 50# shaft. However, the dynamic spine of the shaft will react as a 42# shaft cut to 26# would react, much the same as a 50# shaft cut to 26" will react if it has a 190gr point instead of 125gr point. Both length and point weight will affect dynamic spine, but the shaft will still remain a 50# spine.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

...HUH??
Old 12-25-2003, 11:21 AM

Ok, I'm done. Really confused now...

So if a shaft supplier says he has a dozen shafts that are 50# spine, then I should really buy 60#ers because I will lose 10# in spine when I build my 28" arrow? I'll just stick with what I know from experience. A 28" arrow measured from BOP to throat of nock with a 125 grain tip is the base spine weight standard. Any deviation from that standard will affect the spine characteristic of that arrow. Guess I'm just a stubborn old coot.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:42 PM

I am with Vic, huh????
Old 12-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

aahhhh??????
Old 12-26-2003, 09:22 AM

You guys are trying to make this tuff, its not rocket science. If you order a 50# spine shaft and cut it to whatever length with whatever weight point, and it flies right, just order the same spine the next time, cut to same length with same point and they will fly the same. Forget the dynamic spine stuff, what makes the difference what it acts like. John
Old 12-26-2003, 11:47 AM

Yes, I know it's not rocket science. And yes, the only way to find out is shoot the dang things. But it is a basic principle that all archers should be familiar with. Also, it sure helps those that are going to be using wood arrows for the first time to select a spine that is at least close for their setup without a huge amount of trial & error. I believe discussing this subject will help answer Dave's initial question.

Oh yeah, points are attached with hot melt glue or Bohning Ferrule-Tite.

John - your example.... "My crusader shoots 55-60 spine arrows cut to 29 or 30 in. just fine. It is 51# @ 28"." shows that you are shooting an arrow with characteristics of a 50-55 (29") or a 45-50 (30") which is about the same or less than the weight you are drawing, that is of course if your draw length is 28". Interestingly, it is not 5# over compared to what Dave had mentioned he had heard most Crusader users are shooting. Guess it all depends on the cut length and weight of point.

An answer I received from a wood arrow builder that's been doing it 40 yrs -
"Spine is set up with 26" centers spine deflection reading. This reading is calibrated for the 28" arrow. When you build an arrow over 28" or under 28", you have to figure out how much under/over and the weight of point that the archer is going to be shooting. Then you go from there."

Another answer received -
"Spine is expressed in pounds @ 28" draw with a 28" arrow."

So... from what I have heard from arrow builders, spine is rated for a 28" arrow. I think most longbows (self-bows certainly) shoot a lower spine arrow than the weight of draw because of the increased need of the arrow to flex around the riser which is not center-shot. I have no personal experience with the Crusader and it may be different than other longbows. I'm sure Chad can help immensely, as I believe he is very familiar with the Crusader.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:34 AM

Pinelander, I apologize for the 'rocket science' remark, if you or anyone else took it to mean that I was being critcal of anyone's opinion. I meant it more in a joking manner.
I love to shoot and talk about different bows and arrows. I own 3 longbows, a Crusader(51@28), a Leon Stewart(50@28), and a Blacktail(50@28). My draw is 28-28 1/4 in. I shoot a 50-55 spine arrow cut to 29 in. out of all 3 bows. I use 125 gr points. I make my own finished arrows from Rogue River Archery POC shafts.
If anyone is starting out with wood, RRA has a shaft selection chart that will get them close to where they have to be. One could also talk to Paula or Cecil on the phone and discuss any variations that you may have that you think would differ from the chart.
I have found that recurves are more forgiving of spine selection than longbows. You hit on the reason when you talked about center shot bows. The closer to center shot the more forgiving.
Trad archery is meant to be fun. I strive for perfection but I still try and keep it simple. John
Old 12-27-2003, 12:46 PM

John- Yes, me too... keep 'em flying true and havin' fun too.

I've got to get back into making my own finished arrows one of these days. A great feeling making your own beauties. Too many hobbies, not enough time I guess. I used to make so many, didn't know what to do with all of them.

You're right, anyone new into woodies will benefit greatly by dealing with a reputable arrow supplier/builder as they know their stuff and can assist in selecting the right shaft for their situation.

I have found that I can shoot 15# over spine on most of my recurves, although a bit slower in flight as the stiffer spine is heavier, they still fly great.

Quick Reply: Cedar arrow sources

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.