Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How about "Palmer" custom recurves?

Old 12-17-2003, 07:38 AM

Default How about "Palmer" custom recurves?

Finally!

After perusing just about every recurve maker/manufacturer that exists (feels like it), and driving myself nuts reading all the material specs, I have decided to go with a "Palmer" custom bow. Now it just a matter of deciding on the riser and limbs.

However, final decision is temporarily tabled to query sites like this one for input regarding any info on the bow quality this person produces and/or about the material listed that are used. Some areas I was in had some shooters comparing the quality and shooting comfort to a "Widow."

Any and all comments welcomed.

http://www.palmerbows.com/newhome.htm
Old 12-17-2003, 07:46 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How about "Palmer" custom recurves?

About a year ago I bought a used Palmer Classic with the 7-layer double carbon limbs. I don't know if the carbon limbs justify the price difference, but I've got no complaints with mine.

BTW, the camo on the bow is a set of Limb Skins. I got tired of scratching up new bows every year.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:37 AM

JRW:

What is your draw-length and the specs on the bow e.g., length, poundage, and draw-weight @ ?? compared to drawing the bow to full anchor?

Not that it matters, but have you ever chronoed the FPS?
Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

It's 64", and draws 57# @ 32". My arrows weigh 510 grains and chrono right at 200 fps.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:59 AM

Thank you. Every piece of info helps.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:00 AM

JRW,

What's the story with that brute of a buck? I don't remember you posting about him. Looks like a hawg.

Tyler
Old 12-17-2003, 02:45 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Tyler,

He came by, stopped at 9 yards, took a Zwickey through the chest, bolted 10 yards, slowed to a walk, and fell over. I don't think he even knew what happened. After the first few yards of the trail, there was blood absolutely everywhere.

He only dressed out at 175#, and that's not "jumbo-sized" for Wisconsin. Lots of good meat on him though.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Really nice buck Jason, congrats! Is that this years?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:36 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Vic,

Yes. That was from this November.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dang, it Jason! YOU'RE the one that shot my buck! Very nice!

C- I can say one thing for Mike Palmer. He learned bowmaking from one of the all time great bowyers. He was with Bob Lee at Wing Archery. He and Lee were also partners at one time here in Texas, making bows under the Partner logo. His early bows looked like exact duplicates of the Bob Lee Hunter. In fact, Palmer got really ticked at me at the state field archery championships once, about 15 years ago, when I asked him where he got the fancy Bob Lee bow. (oops!)

He's made some cosmetic changes to his riser since, and he's got a good, high performance limb design. He makes a very good bow and workmanship is always outstanding. I've never owned one of his bows, but I see a LOT of them around the traditional tournaments here. Equal to a Widow? I don't know about that, but I doubt you'd be disappointed with a Palmer.

Quick Reply: How about "Palmer" custom recurves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.