Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Thoughts on limb material

Old 12-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on limb material

If you want a smooth shooting and good performing bow, go with walnut double tapered core and yew laminations over the walnut. Marc doesn't offer bamboo even as an option, to my knowledge. Therefore, the next best option is walnut doluble tapered core with yew lams.

Bill
Old 12-08-2003, 05:52 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Between elm and black walnut, I'd choose black walnut. It's properties are similar to yew (mass weight, recovery, draw force curve) and it looks really nice too. Chek-Mate doesn't offer bamboo because, in their testing, they found no benefits to it over yew, plus it costs more, is harder to work with, and is not as durable in the long run.

The double tapered core isn't available in the recurves, just the Crusader, and the two flatbows--it won't work the same in a recurve.

Troy did bring up a good point--if the glass isn't perfect (and it's very hard to tell until the limbs are glued up), the darker woods will show any imperfections more than lighter woods.

To me, yew is the ultimate limb wood, but walnut is a fairly close second. Marc refers to it as "poor man's yew".

Chad
Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Man, the more I talk to you guys the more expensive my next bow gets.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 PM

LOL we are always more than happy to help someone else spend their money Besides ya can't take it with ya
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM

HMMM as an afterthought just wait till the urge to try a longbow bites ya. Then you will have to buy a few of them then undoubtedly you will decide you liked curves better and have to buy a few of those back again. It never ends[8D] Me personaly am back to recurves for the second time lol
Old 12-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

I still love my Crusader . . . . . accuracy has improved greatly, especially after rereading Byron Ferguson's book. But the urge to shoot a nice curve has taken me. Time to spend, spend, spend.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:06 AM

I know the spend spend spend feeling all to well! I am in the process of trying to sell my last crusader and just shelled out 855.00 to black widow for a PSA III. Vic got that bug started at KK this year when I shot his lol Good luck deciding what combos to try
Old 12-09-2003, 07:07 AM

Chad,

HAve you ever tried orange, mango or banana wood. Do they make a better limb veneer or hat veneer.[8D] Sorry just couldn't resist.

dathein,

It's useless to resist. The bow force has got you. Just give up and resign your self that you will have to own numerous bows to satisfy the virus. Just take your paycheck divide it up and send it off every month to various bowyers. Food, cars, houses just don't matter.......LOL. Troy and I know, it's like Lays potato chips, you can't have just 1 or 6 or 12....HELP!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I did it. I ended up ordering a Hunter II with cocobolo riser, yew limbs with a bocote veneer. Thanks for all your input.

And to think, medical technology still has not come up with a cure for viruses.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:28 PM

Congrats, should be a real looker. So what are you going to order next? And how can we help

Quick Reply: Thoughts on limb material

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.