Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbows??????

Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM

Default Longbows??????

Hello everyone! I have been shooting recures all my life and feel that now I would like a longbow. My question is do long bow need to be "long" to be smooth and precise. I see in many of the bowyers web sites that they offer longbows not very "long". A short longbow, if it shot nice, would be a nice addition to the collection. I have a 27" draw length any opinions on the length I should be looking for.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longbows??????

My question is do long bow need to be "long" to be smooth and precise.
At 27" draw? NO. I think you'd do fine with a longbow that's 58-60" long. I've found with my 32" draw that I can shoot pretty well with a 64" longbow, but 66" is better. 66" is just two inches longer than double my draw length. A friend of mine has a 25" draw and shoots great with a 56" longbow. The bow is short enough that he can put enough strain on the limbs to get good performance. With longer bows, he never was able to get very good arrow speed.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Athur is right.
The English have tables about lenght of bows.
I have kept my eyes and ears open when those 'bowyers' starting to talk about this, but to be honest......i have never seen a old english longbow shooting with a reasonable speed.
It's really true....seen 60 pound bows shooting hardly 30 yrds...

I shoot a 55 sky hoyt longbow...
Very nice shooting bow....
Never let me down.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:51 PM

I have a 29" draw and shoot longbows from 62" to 66". I love my 62" Selway Lil Magnums. Easy to shoot. I tried a 58" but had some finger pinch. I think you'd do fine with the right short bow.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

I too have a 27" draw. I shoot a 62" Crusader. Very nice shooting bow, no stack or pinch.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 PM

I suspect twice your draw length is a good minimum guideline for a straight bow, probably one of the few rules of thumb that actually works most of the time.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It depends on your personal preferences, and the type bow you are shooting, and the bowyer. Most of today's "high performance" longbows, especially the shorter ones, would be more accurately described as flatbows.

I draw 30.5", and in the longbow I like best I can shoot the 64" with no stack at all, but I prefer the 66"--it just feels better and is easier to shoot to me. Going as short as possible will give you more speed in a given design, but won't be as forgiving.

With the bows I am most familiar with (mild deflex/reflex ), I'd think a 60-62" longbow would be a good combination of speed and forgiveness, or a 58-60" flatbow.

Chad
Old 12-21-2003, 12:53 PM

MAN!!! Some of you guys have some serious long draws ! heck iam 6'2" and have a 28.5" draw,, wow!! but iam a beleiver in stay on the long side of any bow you want to buy, jmho
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: TJ SILVERTIP

MAN!!! Some of you guys have some serious long draws ! heck iam 6'2" and have a 28.5" draw,, wow!! but iam a beleiver in stay on the long side of any bow you want to buy, jmho
One the interesting things I've observed over the years is that draw length apparently has little correlation to stature. One of my colleagues, whose head I could readily see over in a crowd, had wrists my fingertips can barely reach when standing shoulder to shoulder. I kidded him frequently on whether or not his knuckles would drag on the ground when he walked.

We became aware of this anomaly when he was trying to teach me to spin a PR24 police baton without clobbering myself in the ribs and it wasn't working. Neither one of us could believe, in view of his short stature compared to me, that his arms were so significantly longer that he excelled with the PR24 baton while I could barely manage it and finally carried a straight baton instead. But it was true.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:22 PM

I have shot longbows for many years and just about every brand. You will find out that a longbow that is 66 to 70 inch long will pull easier than a 58 to 64 inch longbow but they are slower in cast. I use to shoot a 90 pound Howard Hill 70 inches long and it's arrow speed was 170 feet per second with a 650 grain arrow. Because of old age and neck and back trouble I had to go down to a lighter poundage. I now have a Longbowbow from Wildfork Archery that is 64 inches long and 62@26 and a Morrison takedown 64 inches long and 70@26. I got 175 feet per second with the Wildfork longbow and 172 feet persond with the Morrison. Much easier to pull and faster. If your draw is over 27 inches look for a 66 inch bow this will handle nice for you. You can shoot a shorter bow but to get the most out of the bow the tables would reccomend a 66 inch if over 27 inch. Poundage is another question only shoot what you feel comfortable with. Remember Longbows do not have the cast that most recurves do and they are longer so shooting position is more important. Canting the bow will allow you to shoot from about any position with practice. Check out Wildfork Archery Van makes a Longbow that is very fast and gracefully crafted.

Quick Reply: Longbows??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.